Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took the rav down a half mile long road that nobody used anymore to see what the rav would top out at. I shifted at 6200 rpm thw whole way to 4th gear. After it hit 90 mph, the speed stopped incresing and the tach wasnt advancing. I shifted into 5th but the same thing happened. Anyone elses rav top at 90?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine does at about 95. Automatic, so its a 4 speed. It won't go above 3000 RPM in 4th gear. Although I think it may also be an issue with shift points......I mean, it never gets above 4000 RPM, there is still another 2000 rpm before redline.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did they ever put restricters in them? It really is annoying that I can't put the engines to its limits...although, after I have a few more mods in, we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Aussie RAV4.1s are speed limited to 188 km/h (117 mph) but that doesnt mean all RAV4s could reach that speed. Highest i've had mine to is 160 km/h (100 mph)...after which it struggled and i was also coming up to an incline.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Most likely there's an aerodynamic limit - low horsepower and a boxy design mean the engine doesn't have enough juice to make the car go any faster. After a certain point, wind and road resistance are too much for the engine to overcome.

95-100 mph for an automatic sounds about right to me, maybe a little more for a five-speed. Most speedos read high at higher speeds so the only way to know for sure how fast you're going is to use a GPS.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My 1998 RAV4 5-speed Manual made it to almost 115 MPH. I haven't tried to go that fast in it for about 6 years now...

·
Registered
779 Posts
I am sure I could top 100mph in my automatic, easy peasy. But a quick note. Most cars I have driven max out in 4th gear, not 5th. Similarly with autos it may be worth trying to max out with the O/D off (keeping an eye on that redline ofcourse)....and only on a race track!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone really believe what they see on their speedometer....naive perhaps.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I am currently sitting in a dentists chair waiting for the injection to take effect (they offer you the internet to browse while you are waiting for this). My speedo is a bit overambitious. Going through an electronic police speed sign my speedo was reporting about 4mph more than what flashed up.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
I really haven't tried to give it all that it has. The fifth gear is to high anyway. Besides, it needs a front spoiler, and I need to lower it more [yep, more]. At speed, it really becomes a hand full on the road. It needs more stability. Truth is the GTS side deflectors were ripped of and the front one eventually i had to take off. It was ripping under the hood. I had to use window silicone to glue the front windshield rubber.

I know it was the speed because my son and I were going to Humacao for a diabetic meeting. Both GTS rear side deflectors started to flap with the wind... at the same time. I just told him to take them off. BTW, at the time, it didn't have the muffler it has now. It had the TRD muffler.

:wink:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fastest down at the track was around 194-196km/hr(121.8mph), I don't have the picture at that point, but got a picture of when I still have 200metres to go before braking point.

As with fastest ever, we had a speedo laser and over a 2km straight, it was around 220km(136mph)

Go to my RAV4's picture site and check it out. I can't remember which one is, but it does have one.
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/kidong/RAV4/

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stability wise, I have no problem at all. But if my wheel balance is out by 0.5grams, the vibration is hideous above 170km/hr. At 200+km/hr due to the front and rear custom spoilers I made keeps the baby on the ground. As with a standard RAV4, I wouldn't want to try it. Too risky.

As to what I have done with my RAV4, errrr..... There are so much stuff that I can't remember some of them. I'm writing out what I have been through and recommend people to do when transplanting, so you might want to look into that. I still haven't finish as I take my time getting details correctly.

Most important is chassis rigidity and suspension setup. You may have the power, but without the wheels touching the ground, you're going nowhere.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
I guess my main problem is keeping the chassis solid on the ground. At very high speeds I'd feel much more safe if I can just block the air running under the front of the vehicle. I guess Franco and DJ some of the guys are right. A Bomex front spoiler is the solution. It gets hairy at speed. It will also help fuel consumption

For the many new members of the forum. Some might ask: "What is the big deal?" Read this

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/3725

1 - 20 of 26 Posts