Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to put the cover back over the spare on the back door and managed to tear the zipper from the cover side. Looks like all the stitching pulled out. Anyone ever have this problem and get it repaired? Thinking maybe an upholstery shop or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Yup, exact same thing. On mine, the rounded zipper panel fell off from rotted stitches. I just tossed the zipper panel in the back and just left everything alone. In the year or so since, I've had to remove the cover to check tire pressure and have gotten the cover off and on with no more than the usual hassle!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Trying to put the cover back over the spare on the back door and managed to tear the zipper from the cover side. Looks like all the stitching pulled out. Anyone ever have this problem and get it repaired? Thinking maybe an upholstery shop or something?

Yep! When I bought my new-to-me Rav, the zipper was torn. I took it to my local shoe repair shop because they have heavy duty sewing machines. The fixed it good as new for about $30. In fact, they had just fixed another cover a few days prior to mine... must be a common issue.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, exact same thing. On mine, the rounded zipper panel fell off from rotted stitches. I just tossed the zipper panel in the back and just left everything alone. In the year or so since, I've had to remove the cover to check tire pressure and have gotten the cover off and on with no more than the usual hassle!
So maybe I'll do the same. The cover fits pretty tight so I don't think it'll fly off of there.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Also suggest taking it to a shoe repair or upholstery shop. Either will use heavy duty thread and needles which are too much for ordinary household sewing machines to deal with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just fixed mine. Bought some strong upholstery thread, a set of strong needles and went to work. Stitched in on direction, resulting in stitching every other. I then stitced in oposite direction filling in the every other space. Took some time, not perfect, cost me about $9.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a stitcher and decided it was over kill. A larger and stronger needle worked fine. I did use a small pair of pliers helped when pushing through thick areas. I would have used braided fishing line, but I did not correct color.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts