Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2013 with about 38k miles for exactally week and had a noise right off the lot that the Toyota dealership just confirmed today to be the torque converter.

They told me at no cost it would be fixed but it would take a week to get the part and I can drive it in the meantime with no side effects to the car other than the issue it is causing. I'm supposed to pick it up in 2 hours.

So I'm wondering if I am getting burned here, is it really safe to drive? Should I be concerned about this car moving forward? Should I back out while I still can?

I'm bumming super hard cause I love this car.
Thanks,

Edit: pick up time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would be concerned why the converter failed. Could just be that 1 in 10,000 manufacturing fluke or it could be abuse by the previous owner(s). If abuse, I would be worried about what other related problems might manifest themselves later on. Was this formerly used as a fleet or rental vehicle?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your replies.

The vehicle was previously leased by an older couple. In the test drives it had no issues but something obviously came up the further we got away from the dealership until I dropped it off this morning after identifying there was a real problem at these lower speeds/rpms as most of my miles are highway.

They swear there's no worries driving it until the part comes in, but that concerns me alot. Any thoughts on that?

Edit: correcting autocorrect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a piece of machining get unlodged and stuck in a solenoid at 9,000 miles while on a road trip 1,800 miles from home. Toyota payed for a crappy rental, replaced the transmission, and shipped the car to me. I have over 50k now with the new transmission with no further incidents. Sometimes, stuff happens.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've not heard of such things happening or being common. I'd say let them fix it... Chances are it'll be just fine and you'll get many more miles of smiles

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I picked it up yesterday finally after they had ordered the part and spent 2 days replacing and testing. The drive is perfect again and I missed it while it was gone.

I'm concerned they didn't do a full tranny flush and I've read other people have done it after, I'm not too worried about it unless anyone thinks I should be. I do trust the dealership and the people in there.

Either way, super happy to be back in my Rav.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned about a full flush since most of the fluid is in the pan and the TC. The TC is new and they certainly drained and refilled the pan.

Reactions: jbwood5

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned about a full flush since most of the fluid is in the pan and the TC. The TC is new and they certainly drained and refilled the pan.
and also the transmission oil filter should take care of the rest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having my Torque convertor replaced on my new to me 13' LE at 73,000 miles. We did not notice the issue during the test drive, purchased the car and drove it 10 mins down the road and we had the vibration on all shift changes turned right around and they have had the car since then, its been a week. After they replaced the torque convertor they took it for a test drive and the ABS light came on and now the are replacing the ABS Sensor. This is my first Toyota and it has not been a great experience so far. The service advisor I was working with was fired this morning so things are not going well at the Toyota dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just posted a thread..I have a rav 4 2013 and same issue, took into dealer and they agreed and found that the rear axle was bad also..apparently an issue with the new model and transmission....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just posted a thread..I have a rav 4 2013 and same issue, took into dealer and they agreed and found that the rear axle was bad also..apparently an issue with the new model and transmission....
Do you have any more details about the real axle, and was it under a TSB? I have issue with front axle leaking immediately after they replaced my TC. Car has around 50k miles. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Do you have any more details about the real axle, and was it under a TSB?
Njkrd was last on the forum Jan 9, 2016 so I doubt you'll get an answer, at least not from him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts