Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 1.5 years, I finally got a solid diagnosis on the source of the resonating growling noise coming from my car. The dealer tech said that the torque converter is going out, and of course they want to replace the transmission ($$$$). I have started looking around for quotes from independent shops. One rep said that the torque converter can be replaced on its own, but it runs the risk of running up a higher bill afterwords if the noise does not go away.

Who else has had their torque converter or transmission replaced? Did the TC replacement get rid of the noise? Getting the tranny replaced would be roughly twice the price of the TC, but still cheaper than the dealer quote.

For reference:
- Resonating/growling/grating noise happens around 40-50 mph when lightly accelerating at low RPMs.
- Exhaust work and rear-differential coupling work did not fix the noise.
- Because of the time taken to figure this out, this problem has persisted over many miles.
- Camrys under recall for this problem.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Ouch! - about the possible repair bill amount. Does the Camry which you mentioned use the same TC and transmission? Please keep us posted.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts