Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Tow dolly with Rav4

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  lshlsh2 
#1 ·
I wanted to know if i can safely tow a dolly with a 2000 VW Jetta with my V6 Rav4

#2 ·
The V6 Rav4 has a max towing capacity of 3500 lbs when equipped with the factory tow package and proper hitch. Without tow package, I believe it's a 2000 lb limit. How much does your Jetta weigh?

#3 ·
Not gonna work since trailer brakes are required. I don't think tow dollies have brakes but even if they do it would only brake half the towed weight. A tandem axle trailer would be needed but would certainly put the total weight over even the 3500# limit.

#4 ·
Any decent tow dolly will have brakes...also tow dollies have a weight limit like any trailer would and even tho 2 wheels of the car are on the ground the brakes are designed to work for the total weight limit...so if you have the factory tow package you can tow 3500lbs...say the Jetta weighs 3150...the tow dolly weighs 350....that would put you right at the 3500 pound limit and be safe and legal...most single axle dollies will have a gross weight limit in the low to mid 4k lbs area...find out your weights and you can make an informed decision...

#5 ·
I disagree on a tow dolly being able to stop more than the weight on it's tires. To stop safely all wheels on the road must be braked. That's why the formerly unsafe practice of braking just one axle of a tandem trailer has been outlawed in many states. All four wheels must have brakes to be legal.

I do agree that there may be exceptions and various state towing laws range from overly conservative to stupidly unsafe.

#6 ·
I have never seen a tow dolly with surge brakes, which is what most rental trailers and dollies have.

Would I use a tow dolly on a Rav? Never.

You are either at or over the weight limitations, the brakes are going to be taxed to the max and then some trying to stop the weight of the dolly and vehicle.

Personally I only tow a vehicle on a tandem axle trailer.

Rent a truck and a trailer, it is cheaper than trashing your car.

#7 ·
Would I use a tow dolly on a Rav? Never.

You are either at or over the weight limitations, the brakes are going to be taxed to the max and then some trying to stop the weight of the dolly and vehicle.

Personally I only tow a vehicle on a tandem axle trailer.
Agree on all points. IMO, the only safe use for a dolly is towing a relatively light vehicle behind a MUCH heavier one like a car being towed by a motorhome or coach.

Rent a truck and a trailer, it is cheaper than trashing your car.
Or have someone drive the Jetta for you.

#8 ·
I guess this is where experience counts...I have been using tow follies for over 20 years to tow cars with...never an issue at all...ones with brakes and ones without...I don't think I have ever gone much more than 100 miles at a clip nor do I think my tow vehicle has ever been lighter than my towed vehicle...

#9 ·
I guess this is where experience counts...I have been using tow dollies for over 20 years to tow cars with...never an issue at all...ones with brakes and ones without...I don't think I have ever gone much more than 100 miles at a clip nor do I think my tow vehicle has ever been lighter than my towed vehicle...
Agreed there but I certainly couldn't recommend some of my former methods to anyone else especially someone inexperienced with towing.
I once towed a Honda Civic Wagon 200 miles on a tandem trailer with no brakes. Tow vehicle was my '86 Accord, obviously lighter than the tow, with some of the trip on deer-country I-84 in PA. I decided if I saw a deer I wouldn't even touch the brakes since I'd most likely wreck the rig but miss the deer.

#11 ·
Before I got my Rav, I had to tow my son in law's neon. I used my cherokee with a dolly. The cherokee was rated at 5000lbs. That was about 50 miles. I don't think I would use my Rav to do the same thing.

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.