Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking strongly about installing 2 tow eye bolts through the eye bolt covers of my 2012 RAV4. I haul a kayak and a lot of other things on the roof and I want the tow eye bolts in permanently and I plan to drill holes through the covers and install the eye bolts so it looks better than just leaving the covers off. Has anyone ever tried that? I'm also still looking for a second black OEM tow eye bolt if anyone has a spare I would buy it.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,925 Posts
I've heard that they often get stolen for some reason.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use them regularly for hauling canoes on top, but just put the covers back after each time. I got my spare from a buddy who put a brush guard on his so didn't need it any more as an anchor point. Try a local salvage yard for a spare. Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
[...]I'm also still looking for a second black OEM tow eye bolt if anyone has a spare I would buy it.
For some reason I got two with my Limited, although any tow/rescue service will tell you they will only use one. They aren't expensive. The 'bay has them.

IMHO they are the only way to secure lines to the front end.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,925 Posts
I use them regularly for hauling canoes on top, but just put the covers back after each time. I got my spare from a buddy who put a brush guard on his so didn't need it any more as an anchor point. Try a local salvage yard for a spare. Cheers
How do you pop off the covers without scratching anything? I tried once using a credit card but that didn't work.

·
Registered
403 Posts
How do you pop off the covers without scratching anything? I tried once using a credit card but that didn't work.
The Owners Manual says to cover a blade screw driver with a rag. Never had to remove the covers but it sounds logical to me.:smile

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A knife blade pops them off easily. The dealer quoted me $38 for an eye tow bolt and I might pay it even though it isn't even worth 5 bucks, I was just checking to see if I could get one cheaper. The tow bolt covers are many places on the net for around $10 ea. and they come in black and that might not look bad with black eye bolts on a Silver Rav4. I think once I find another eye bolt I will buy a pair of black covers and see how they look with the eye towbolts installed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm thinking strongly about installing 2 tow eye bolts through the eye bolt covers of my 2012 RAV4. I haul a kayak and a lot of other things on the roof and I want the tow eye bolts in permanently and I plan to drill holes through the covers and install the eye bolts so it looks better than just leaving the covers off. Has anyone ever tried that? I'm also still looking for a second black OEM tow eye bolt if anyone has a spare I would buy it.
If you look in the discussion I wrote a reply concerning your question and I explained a kit to replaced eye bolts and you don’t have to remove the plastic cover

1 - 9 of 9 Posts