Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen James's video on the tow hitch and the other one he pushed about customizing the hitch with the kick sensor wires.

I want a OEM hitch only with no wiring. We primarily use it for carrying a 4 bike carrier and do not tow. I want the OEM one due to clearance issues as it is mounted higher and within the bumper.

I called 2 dealers today and got some wildly different prices for the OEM hitch:
Dealer 1 needed me to give them the VIN (of my vehicle on deposit) said the OEM hitch would not affect the kick sensor, but required both the hitch and 4 pin wiring to installed for a combined price of $1252 (material $763 and labor $489).
Dealer 2 said the OEM hitch would not affect the kick sensor, but could be installed without the trailer wiring (my desire) for a combined price of $703 ( $423 material and labor $280)

Both confirmed Hitch PN OEM Toyota PK960-42K10 (2021 Toyota RAV4 PRIME Tow Hitch Receiver - PK96042K10 - Genuine Toyota Accessory )
where it is listed for $295. It also clearly states: "Tow Hitch Receiver is not available for the RAV4 Limited grades with Advanced Technology Packages or RAV4 Prime XSE with Premium package"

Dealer #2 said I could order it from there and bring it in and they would install as long as it is an OEM part.

I pointed out to both that their material pricing is above the Toyota parts price as an installed sale option asking how they got so high given the listed option price and cost on Toyota parts website.

I am thinking that when I pay for the vehicle, I should require this along with other things:
1. Switch to weather mats (hate carpet)
2. Platinum Warranty (Paid $1050 in 2011 on highlander)
3. Blackout emblems
4. Extra Key.

So far, they are requiring a $1095 for "protection packages" where I got them to lower vehicle price by half of this, but kept accessory price the same. Basiclly, willing to give more money for the desired hitch and these other 4 items, but want it all as part of the sale.

Can anyone confirm if the kick sensor still works with the OEM hitch (not using the you tube video fix)?

Any thoughts?

/FS (not real name)

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime SE
61 Posts
I have no direct experience with the kick sensor but did just install an OEM tow hitch myself on an SE without the sensor and researched that installation heavily online first.

The kick sensor consists of a U-shaped cable routed horizontally inside the plastic bumper cover. The OEM hitch requires a hole to be cut in the bumper cover - that hole would cut right through the cable unless it’s re-routed. That’s the key issue.

Someone posted a DIY writeup with pics, somewhere here on Rav4World I think (I’ll try to find it again) where they were able to re-route the cable around the hole to keep it functional. That’s what you’d need to do, or find an installer willing to do.

The prices you’re seeing seem high. My dealer quoted $450 installed. But instead, I ordered my hitch from BAM for about $300 ($250 + 50 shipping) and installed it myself in about 6 hours. It’s not terribly difficult.

Edit #1 - this guy did the install keeping the sensor and references a YouTube video (but no link) showing how to do it:

Edit #2 - here’s a YouTube video showing how to retain the kick sensor:

Edit #3 - if you’re interested in DIY (or finding someone else to install it for you) here’s a very helpful video on the hitch installation (but no kick sensor)

And here’s the OEM hitch installation instructions - a similar (but not identical) document came in the box with my hitch:

Edit 4 - here’s some pics from my own install:
Holy hell, going to pick up my new Rav4 Prime XSE...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked the dealer to provide me the parts removed from the RAV4 Prime w/Premium when I had my OEM hitch installed.

The sales mgr gave me 4 items, 2 small brackets, the large bumper barrier, and the kick sensor wire assembly.

I was a little shocked that the bumper barrier came off, but after rewatching the video from James K about restoring the kick sensor I saw around 6:19 the barrier was removed. It appears the raised hitch becomes the barrier.

I spent more time under the car and should be able to trim the kick sensor bracket and reroute the wires like in the video.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got my kick sensor reinstalled using the electrical frame and wiring returned to me from the dealer after OEM hitch install. Worked on first try! While my wiring or cuts didn't match exactly, it still worked! Thank you James!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boruto, I followed the video James discovered where the other guy saved the kick sensor. However, I made my own decisions on the cuts as I did not drop remove the bumper and had to do it on my back underneath the car. I cant stress enough about measure and check multiple times before cutting. One thing I did do different is I left a middle tab on the kick sensor frame connected that was centered and had it go inside the hitch. This allow me to place the sensor wire higher and kept it longer on the other side. Good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Boruto, I followed the video James discovered where the other guy saved the kick sensor. However, I made my own decisions on the cuts as I did not drop remove the bumper and had to do it on my back underneath the car. I cant stress enough about measure and check multiple times before cutting. One thing I did do different is I left a middle tab on the kick sensor frame connected that was centered and had it go inside the hitch. This allow me to place the sensor wire higher and kept it longer on the other side. Good luck!
Any pictures?

·
Registered
8 Posts
For my RAV4P XSE, I just purchased the hitch from Toyota p/n PK960-42K10, then took it to U-Haul and they installed it with their flat plug wiring harness and looped the kick sensor wire and trimmed the plastic frame as described above for a great price. Kick sensor works. Hidden hitch, professionally installed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For my RAV4P XSE, I just purchased the hitch from Toyota p/n PK960-42K10, then took it to U-Haul and they installed it with their flat plug wiring harness and looped the kick sensor wire and trimmed the plastic frame as described above for a great price. Kick sensor works. Hidden hitch, professionally installed.
That's super exciting! I'm a total newbie, so can you help walk me through a bit of what you did here...

1) when you say you bought the OEM hitch from Toyota, do you just mean the dealer?
2) when you had U-Haul install the OEM hitch and loop the kick sensor wire, did you have to show them the video or did they know how to do it without any direction?
2) How much did U-Haul charge for this?

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's super exciting! I'm a total newbie, so can you help walk me through a bit of what you did here...

1) when you say you bought the OEM hitch from Toyota, do you just mean the dealer?
2) when you had U-Haul install the OEM hitch and loop the kick sensor wire, did you have to show them the video or did they know how to do it without any direction?
3) How much did U-Haul charge for this?

Thank you so much!
Hi Boruto,
1. Yes, I purchased the Toyota PK960-42K10 from a dealer. My dealer didn't have it but he told me of the nearest dealer that had stock, so I called and they held it for me since it was a bit of a drive. Didn't have to pay shipping though. Supplies are limited.
2. When I talked to the installer he was familiar with the kick sensor and what I meant by "looping". I expect he'd seen similar sensors on other vehicles. I was ready to show him the video, but he didn't need it.
3. They put on a wiring harness too and charged a total 1.5 hours labor. Just call to make an appointment and they'll give a quote.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome - thanks! What, specifically, did you need to cut, in order to get the wiring set up correctly, after it was installed?
Watch the video reviewed by Jeff where the guy discusses where he cut when he reinstalled the kick sensor. He does gloss over it, so I was a lot more conservative and left more. the video is also upside down as he had the bumper off. It took me many measure and checks before I cut each time as I was working on my back under the bumper.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Watch the video reviewed by Jeff where the guy discusses where he cut when he reinstalled the kick sensor. He does gloss over it, so I was a lot more conservative and left more. the video is also upside down as he had the bumper off. It took me many measure and checks before I cut each time as I was working on my back under the bumper.
Here are the requested photos.

1. Center on the hitch. I left the frame bracket so it goes into the OEM hitch to provide some support. Also it allowed the cable to mibe placed higher up and this longer on passenger side.
2. Passenger side end of sensor cable on top part of bracket that had to be shortened to go around hitch.

Photos are taken from me laying on my back under the car with my feet to the rear and looking behind the exhaust at an upward angle.

Hope these help

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

2) How much did U-Haul charge for this?

Thank you so much!
I bought the OEM hitch and had it dealer installed for $1200 (materials and labor)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does it void the warranty if you have it installed somewhere else besides the dealer? How much did U-haul charge for installation?
It doesn't void the warranty where I purchased, double-check with your dealer. U-Haul put on the hitch I provided, wiring harness from U-Haul, and modified the kick sensor and charged a total 1.5 hours labor plus the harness. Just call to make an appointment and they'll give a quote for your area. It was ALOT less than my dealer's quote of 5 hours labor.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It doesn't void the warranty where I purchased, double-check with your dealer. U-Haul put on the hitch I provided, wiring harness from U-Haul, and modified the kick sensor and charged a total 1.5 hours labor plus the harness. Just call to make an appointment and they'll give a quote for your area. It was ALOT less than my dealer's quote of 5 hours labor.
Any photos of the end result? Did you get 4 or 7 pin, or both?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts