Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

my used RAV4 came equipped with an original removable tow hitch. To remove it, I need a small key but unfortunately I did not get it when I bought the car.

There might be a possibility to order a new key and it seems that there should be a serial number.

Could somebody help my find this serial number because I cant find it?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Max

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hey all,

my used RAV4 came equipped with an original removable tow hitch. To remove it, I need a small key but unfortunately I did not get it when I bought the car.

There might be a possibility to order a new key and it seems that there should be a serial number.

Could somebody help my find this serial number because I cant find it?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Max
Hey Max, congratulations on your purchase and welcome. As this is an aftermarket (although likely dealer-installed) accessory, there are very few ways to determine the key needed. Some locks will have a number or code on the lock face, but otherwise you may be looking at a locksmith or a grinder to cut the end off.

Anyone have different ideas?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
As suggested the fastest way to remove it is with an angle grinder. Depending on the design a pipe can also be used to snap it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much foryota!

To me it seemed genuine but google showed me this picture and the design is very similar (but I have Toyota logo on it and not Witter)

It is quite rusty maybe that is why I did not manage to find it. I will try to get a clear view with some wd40.

Regards,

Max

·
Registered
884 Posts
Thank you very much foryota!

To me it seemed genuine but google showed me this picture and the design is very similar (but I have Toyota logo on it and not Witter)

It is quite rusty maybe that is why I did not manage to find it. I will try to get a clear view with some wd40.

Regards,

Max
Even if you do get a code, you’d then need to track down the manufacturer of the lockset and then see if they have a published resource for reproducing keys. I’ll warn you it may be a long road. It does look quite sturdy, so grinding might be a big challenge unless you attack the back side, but the other (simpler) option could actually be to replace the hitch...

Alternatively you may consider removing the hitch to take to a locksmith or garage to re-key or cut off the lock. That way they can work on it without tying up your new ride for a day. The last item to consider is the cost for the work (if you can’t do it yourself) vs the cost of a replacement hitch and drawbar - 1 hour of shop time may approach the price of a used hitch.

Reactions: ravenuer
1 - 6 of 6 Posts