Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am thinking of selling my 4.1 and move up to a 4.2, I have a brand new tow hitch which I had not installed on my 4.1, will I be able to install it on a 4.2? I heard this is possible, your help would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
I kept the factory hitch off my '98 because I like the aluminum bumper-like shield that hides the hitch, makes the rear look much neater, IMO. Considering the hitch is a bolt-on and only rated at 150/1500 lbs, I figure I might have to have some adapter plates made up, to center it as the 4.2 frame rails looked wider apart on initial inspection. Been over a year, but one of these days...... :roll:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Been thinking about your situation.......ya know, if mine was new, never used, I'd sell it to a 4.1 owner and buy a 4.2 hitch. Probably break even when you consider having someone weld up some adapters.........and feel a lot more secure in what's back there......
Even if you can do the work yourself.......it'd be a lot less hassle....IMHO...... :?
For instance, when I took my hitch off, two of the nuts tack welded in the frame stayed in place, and the other two nuts broke the tack welds necessitating cutting the bolts with a torch......in spite of a lot of penetrating oil, 'course we get a lot of road salt up here......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts