Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wondering, my 4.2 doesn't have the towing hitch as I got the 4.2 second hand and the original owner didn't get one put on when they purchased it. I don't want to get a brand new hitch if I can get a used one to install. Are the towing hitches for the Rav4 the same across all the generations or are they generation specific?

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
I'm quite sure they are specific so especially if you're buying used, say on eBay, get a 4.2 one since returning the wrong one wouldn't be possible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine is a 4.1, but I got a Curt class 4 receiver new for under $115, definitely not a job for a single person (possibly best with 1 adult and 2 teenagers) once you have a bolt on each side started it goes really fast. Now I just have to install the wiring harness for the trailer to connect to, think I will have the toddlers "help" me with that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oddly enough the heavier class 4 receiver was cheaper by about $15 than the class 2 and 3 hitches I was seeing, so I went heavy even though a class 2 hitch is more than enough for my needs ( pretty small utility trailer).

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
I'm quite sure they are specific so especially if you're buying used, say on eBay, get a 4.2 one since returning the wrong one wouldn't be possible.

Yes-according to Curt, their hitches for gen.2 and gen 3 RAVs are different and are not interchangeable regarding fitting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts