Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RAV4's, even with the tow package, do not come with a wiring harness installed - at least at the time of this writing. I purchased a Toyota harness and installed it recently. I know that many more will do the same. I took notes for those who will follow in my path. There are pictures of each panel and the clips that hold them in. There is also some tips and suggestions.

The download is 20 Meg and is a word document. You can get your's here:

www.brandhollow.com/rav_wiring_harness.doc

Note: This guide was converted to HTML and posted to the web as an alternate means. Scroll down and check the later post for an HTML link.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A wonderful document, It's terrific people take the time to do this. I went through the Toyo instructions last night and had most of the panels off (except the main rear one) and saw that all was OK except I didn't have a clue what connector they were talking about on the junction box. Your photo is crystal clear, I didn't even have to go out to the truck. I've ordered the drawtite T-adapter & converter but may go w/ the Toyo after I see the build quality.

Any way to confirm that the single connector w/ the female under the dash is for power? I haven't found mine yet but even w/ the drawtite, I'll need to get to power and would rather use the factory 30A fuse provided instead of the in-line drawtite supplies. I do have the tow prep (not) package.

Thanks again, nice job

RedRav's rule (ours is a Sport, 4 days new)

·
Registered
45 Posts
kevvan, thank you very much for your guide. I think this should be a sticky.

Although I am not quite ready, I have been "worrying" whether I could do it myself. With your guide I'm pretty sure I can.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kevvan thanx so much. I used your excellent description along with the Toyota instructions provided by another member here. While it did take me 3 hours because I went slow and refered to these references often, I'm all set. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kevan, more thanks to you. This is my first post and I wanted to say thanks for the invaluable help your instructions provided. The installation with just the factory instructions alone would have been much more difficult and time consuming. Now I can get my boat hooked up!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
This site says they have Modulite. It looks much simpler and cheaper than Toyota harness at all assuming you use not more than 10 amps and tie into the rear power adapter socked for 12v.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Kevvan thanks for the excellent write up on the installation process. I just completed mine in about 2 hours and everything went a lot easier after reading your post.

The most difficult part of the installation for me was making sure I put the aux power pin into the right hole. I know what a bitch it is to get out if it's in the wrong one. Other than that everything went pretty easy, glad I did it myself instead of shelling out the money to the dealer.

Also I recommend the OEM harness, I was going to go with the aftermarket t-con but since it wasn't available until July I went ahead and shelled out the extra coin. After installing it I'm glad I went that way instead in case there are any problems in the future.

If anyone needs help with this installation in the Tidewater area I'd be happy to assist, probably could do it closer to an hour now.

Again thanks to everyone who has posted on this subject it really was a big help.

Tim

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All is well

Thought I'd post a quick update and let everyone know that I've towed my trailers several times and everything has worked like it's supposed to.

I debated about taking the time to write the guide as it added to the process but I see that many have made good use of it and I'm glad that it has been helpful.

-- Kevvan

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
This was an excellent guide. People like you make this forum very special. It should be a sticky thread as people keep asking about wireing RAV4.

J

·
0 Posts
question??

i have 2006 rav 4 v6 sport. Is it possible to install a tow prep package on to my car.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hey Kevvan!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write up that excellent article. It really helped with my wiring install.

Here are a couple of pics you might want to cut and paste into your article - they show the location of the "A5" Trailer Socket (with white wire) that is so durned hard to find (it took me 45 minutes to locate - it is acutally lower down by the relay box)

Since you did such a great job on your report I didn't see any need to write another one, but I will soon post a Toyota hitch install report and later a report on installing a Tekonsha P3 brake controller and associated wires.

This forum is a great resource for owners! Thank you again.

D

·
0 Posts
Great Document - Enabled me to wire up the hitch!!

I just wanted to say thanks for such a great document. Without it I don't think I could have completed this project with just the Toyota instructions only. Your tips were invaluable, and saved me a lot of mis-steps.

For the most part everything went along fine, although connecting the wire harness to the dashboard did take me a while. Your photos though helped me figure out what plug I needed.

Then I had to work out how to pull out the plug in question given the limited access (right hand room only) and bad leverage position from underneath the dash. I ended up using a long thin flat-bladed screw driver with my left hand to nudge under the plastic rim of the block connector, and using my right thumb to press up on the plastic release latch. Once I figured that out, it went fairly quick.

I got one of those flat-4 harness testers, and everything seemed to work great!! So thanks again for the document. You saved me a lot of time and money!!

For the buying the harness, the dealer (in California) was quoting $181, and online I found the MSRP on it at $140. So I did some more digging, and found a wonderful online dealer (Toyota World) out in Texas who was selling them for $105 and $10 shipping. It only took around 5 or 6 days for it to arrive. Their link was:

www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213747

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just bought the OEM trailer harness and it fits like a glove. I am very happy I went with it over an aftermarket T-harness that would require a line to the battery. My hat is off to Kevvan for the instructions and pictures. Without it and this forum, I would never have been able to figure out the connections under the dash. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
John E Davies said:
John,

In reference to these 2 pictures you posted. What type of connector is the A5? Is there a part number and a source to get the opposite part of the plug to the white wire plug already under the dash?

M

·
0 Posts
Kudos to you Kevvan,

For the awesome job on taking the time and effort on writing a layman's version of the wiring harness procedure.
I am about ready to take on the project myself and think I could do it from your guide alone. Still, I'd like to get my hands on the official procedure you and few of the folks here mention.
I tried a suggested site called TIS where you could buy a one-day membership that gave a person access to the Toyota official procedure. It's strictly US based though as it wouldn't allow me to enter my province and postal code. They were required fields of entry so I couldn't go any further.
Can you or one of the other good folk on this awesome website give me a push in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
21 Posts
thanks kevvan. i just found your how-to. my wife and i just picked up her new 08 super white V6 this morning and a guy i work with had a drawtite hitch for sale off of his 07 for $50.00. now all i need is the wiring harness.
thanks again

1 - 20 of 39 Posts