Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 with the sport package, so it does not have a spare tire. Yes, I realize it was designed to have run flat tires (no spare).

Has anyone found a tow hitch with the option of hanging a spare tire off the hitch frame? Preferably, the tire would mount UNDERNEATH the vehicle and not drag the ground.

Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I honestly do not think you are going to find anything of the sort. The hitch connects to the very back of the unit-body frame rails and would not have a length to bring the tire up underneath without it sticking out past the bumper. The trailer hitch also only has 2 arms that reach up to the body for connecting, the rest of it hangs lower than the bumpber.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If you were to hang a spare tire below the hitch, it would be so low to the ground that you constantly be scraping it on the ground. Plus it would get filthy and would rust and such as well.

This is the OEM hitch, which hugs up tighter to the bumper and bottom of the vehicle than aftermarket hitches. The shiny bracket above the hitch tube cover is part of the vehicle (ignore the red circles):

Seriously, not enough space.

There are hitch-mounted spare tire carriers, though, that swing out of the way so you can open the back door. You might want to investigate one of those.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
How about putting a donut spare tire inside the hidden storage compartment at the cargo area ? Maybe one from a Sienna may fit.
You have the advantage of a spare tire but will not be in the way. Might be also cheaper perhaps.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
How about putting a donut spare tire inside the hidden storage compartment at the cargo area ? Maybe one from a Sienna may fit.
You have the advantage of a spare tire but will not be in the way. Might be also cheaper perhaps.
I believe others have determined in the past that a donut spare simply will not fit under the floor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The storage compartment is about 19" wide so with 18" wheels it would be hard to fit a donut in there, but I'm thinking if I deflate the tire it might fit. I'm going to buy an electric inflator anyway to keep in the vehicle.

Thank ya'll for all the suggestions! It's been very helpful.

-Jason

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The storage compartment is about 19" wide so with 18" wheels it would be hard to fit a donut in there, but I'm thinking if I deflate the tire it might fit. I'm going to buy an electric inflator anyway to keep in the vehicle.
If the tire is effectively distorted to fit in there, I would question how easy (read: difficult) it would be to get a bead seal to form between the rim and the rubber when trying to reinflate it with an automotive air compressor.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you want to get nuts, what about mounting it at the front of the vehicle on a bull bar?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I assume you are concerned about flatting out when you are down some dirt road to go climbing. You are going to need a little more than a small compressor. Buy a plug kit and know how to use it. Also buy the largest can of fix a flat you can find. Ideally you have a small hole in the tread area and not a complete blow out. I have put 6 plugs in a side wall + a can of fix a flat before. Then drove out 40+ dirt miles on that tire. Why didn't I use the spare. Cause that tire was shredded.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On our AWD Sienna, I use a Thule Parkway hitch mounted bike rack. It slides into the 2" receiver. We drilled a hole through the upright and mounted the spare to it with a hefty bolt. The advantage is that it swings down with a simple hitch pin and lets us get into the back of the Sienna. I don't know if it will provide enough clearance for the swinging door of the RAV4 (I'll tell you when I get my receiver). We can even carry 2 bikes on the rack along with the tire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts