Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2012 2.4L L4 DOHC 16V Trim Level Base I4 4WD and I want a tow hitch for very light towing.

Virtually everywhere I look, I cannot find an OEM Tow Kit/Hitch Receiver. All of them are CURT or some other brand.

Does anyone know if there is an OEM one and where I can find it online? Also, does anyone know of a non-OEM that fits exactly as the OEM does? I heard the OEM is barely visible (only the hole is visible) whereas the others are entirely visible.

Thanks,

BDE

·
Super Moderator
10,140 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
If you have a 2012 your engine is a 2.5l not a 2.4l. The cost difference between the Toyota hitch and an aftermarket one is substantial. If it's worth an extra $500 or so to you then order the Toyota hitch from any dealership. It sure wouldn't be worth it to me with a 1500 lb towing limit.
Hopefully someone here has installed an aftermarket one that tucks up under like you want and can recommend it.

·
Super Moderator
10,140 Posts
I have a Valley on my V6. Yeah it's visible. If I don't want it to be seen I'd take it off.
In your case I agree with Tex, no need for a $1000+ Toyota one. Maybe you can find one of the light duty 1 1/4" ones like this: 4YOU CLASS2 Trailer Tow Hitch for 2006 2012 Toyota RAV4 All | eBay
It might well tuck in better than the 2" ones and it's 1/10 the cost.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Having the hitch visible or not so visible isn't an issue for me. Mine is visible when I'm towing, but when I'm not using it I remove it and save having to tote around the extra 40 or so pounds.

·
Super Moderator
10,140 Posts
Having the hitch visible or not so visible isn't an issue for me. Mine is visible when I'm towing, but when I'm not using it I remove it and save having to tote around the extra 40 or so pounds.
I should do the same but ASA I take it off I'll need it the next day. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts

Me neither, I'm not putting the hitch on my Hybrid until I need it, only takes 20-30 minutes at most to install it, can't see hauling around that extra 40+lbs all the time. I do want the hitch exposed as it provides anchor points the for stabilizer chains for my game hoist on the hitch rack.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
BDE just google the part number for the hitch online and you should find it.

There are 2 two Toyota hitches available from Toyota (not aftermarket):

PT2284-2060 - vehicles with tow package
PT2284-2061 - vehicles without tow package (all 4 cylinders will not have the tow package)

Here is what is included with the hitch ---- http://www.spokanister.net/Docs/RAV4_Receiver_Install_With_Tow_Package.pdf

The instructions as you can see is not as simple as an aftermarket install. An aftermarket install is around 1 hour. I am sure the Toyota one will take maybe 2-3 hours. So if you are not doing it yourself it will cost a lot more for installation not to mention the factory hitch is around $400-$600.

Just a fyi the aftermarket hitch weighs around 38 lbs vs the 65 lbs for the factory.

Another thing is there is no mention of what the specs are for the factory hitch whether it is a 2 inch or 1 1/4 inch receiver. You may want to check this out.

Here is a thread with picture of the Toyota hitch : http://www.rav4world.com/forums/97-4-3-exterior/125713-no-towing-package-what-upgrades-tow-3000-sailboat.html

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot, given that the V6 is only rated up to 3,500lbs I would imagine the hitch has to be a class I or class II which would mean it's a 1 and 1/4 inch.

I was reading that the Toyota Genuine hitch was "designed by lawyers" i.e. the design errs widely on the side of safety/caution/avoidance of lawsuits and also that the user's manual rating of the tow capacity of the RAV4 has a lower limit within the USA (which means again it's more of a legislative thing than an actual limit since the vehicles outside the USA don't have any more towing power.)

Having said that, I know the RAV4 isn't a hauler and more so that I have a 4 Cylinder!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts