Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I see that type I & type II hitches are available for the Rav4. I know the Rav4 is only rated for the requirements of the Type I, but I'd still like to get the type II. Anybody else use the type II hitch?

Thanks,

Scott G.
05 4x2 Sport

·
Registered
9 Posts
Aren't they the same? You can get type 1's with 1.25" square receivers. The 2" receivers are type 3. Total overkill for a car that can only tow 1500lbs.
MikeG

R

·
0 Posts
Can only tow 1500 lbs recommended :wink: A buddy tows his 20' boat with his Accord. I don't know if towing is even allowed/recommened but if it is, it is prob only 1000 lbs. I certainly wouldn't recommend it, but...

C

·
0 Posts
I used to sell and install hitches. Class I hitch is/was the bumper bolt on type. The bumper hitch on every pickup truck sold in the US is rated at class I, 500# tongue weight and 1K or 1.5K gross weight. Class II is the 1.25" receiver hitch and generally rated at the same (sometimes a little higher) than the Class I hitch.

Now, as for the size of the receiver. Some manufacturers started to see that people wanted to be able to use the 2" hitch, think bike carriers and other accessories, on vehicles rated for a Class II hitch. To solve this issue you can occassionally find a 2" receiver for a Class II hitch. The other option is that most welding shops can build a simple hitch rated for Class II with the 2" receiver.

With that said, anyone who wants to try and exceed the weight rating for their tow vehicle and/or tow very large and long trailers risk damaging the tow vehicle, trailer and occupants along with anyone on the road. Case in point, several years ago I saw a Chevy Tahoe that rolled 2x while towing a 20'+ camper on the highway. The Tahoe was rated for the weight of the trailer, the driver just didn't know how to tow it.

F

·
0 Posts
I installed a Class III on my 04S. I wanted the 2" receiver because I already had a couple of things that were set up for it. The hitch is rated at a higher towing capacity than is recommended for the RAV, but that doesn't affect anything. Just don't connect it to anything that exceeds the rated vehicle towing weight. Besides, it's good to have more strength in a hitch than you need, IMO.

R

·
0 Posts
I picked up a class 3 2" hitch from www.etrailer.com I only used it to tow a 300 # trailer with a 500 # bike, so I always stayed under the 1500 # limit. I just wanted the 2" size for the accessory availability, and to match up to the 2" stuff I already own.

There are adapters that let you use 2" accessories on a 1.25" reciever, but they also are about 6" to 8" long, so they will stick behind the vehicle quite a bit (sometimes a good thing with the RAV's rear mounted spare).

I have YET to find a welding shop that will modify a trailer hitch. (I have an 05 Outback XT Wagon and can only find 1.25" stuff). I've looked all around LA and even the local machine shops just don't want the liability of modifying/altering a trailer hitch.

C

·
0 Posts
Rather than looking for someone to modify the hitch for you check out shops that build custom trailers, often they will also build the hitches for your vehicle. They can "custom" build it with a 2" for about the same cost as buying one with the 1.25", they just make sure the documentation/stickers state that it is for class II weight ratings.

At least that is what a local trailer shop used to do. Haven't looked into in a few years so they may have changed the practice since people are into suing someone else for their own stupidity. (Sorry, short tangent there).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hitch

I can buy a bolt-on 1 1/4" or 2" kit off of one of the sites listed on this site so I don't have to have it made with a 2" connection. It sounds like I'm not the only one that has thought of this. Thanks for all the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts