Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
521 - 526 of 526 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Curt Hitch Installed, minor issues

Got the Curt hitch installed over the weekend. Getting the exhaust lowered wasn't too bad once I realized the rubber hangers can take a bit more abuse than I expected, I was just being too gentle with it to get it off at first.

The 4 mounting holes for the hitch are slotted left to right to help account for tolerances in the manufacturing process that could cause the hitch mounting flanges to be wider or narrower than intended. Mine was definitely on the narrow side. So much so that I had to spread the flanges apart by about .125", this was no easy task as this hitch is stout! But once that was done it went on with no issues. I will try and get some pictures up later today, but everyone has seen some of the previous pics in this thread. One thing I did like was I opted for the Curt rubber hitch cover instead of the chrome one that came from Autoanything. The rubber cover is very subtle and seals great. I didn't care to draw attention to the hitch and this one is black and will keep junk out of there. It also has a molded piece to hold wiring in place when not in use if you have the wiring done.

Will probably test fit the new bike rack this evening and take the bikes out sometime this week to see how it rides.

Cover: CURT Manufacturing 21728 2 In. Black Rubber Tube Cover with 4-Flat Holder, Packaged : Amazon.com : Automotive
Hi there,

I'm having the same issue with my curt hitch on install. How did you go about spreading the flanges apart?

Hitchweb is offering to replace the hitch with a different one, but are unsure if that would fix the problem.

Aaron

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would assume it was a round file job.
I also put a rubber Curt plug on mine, then took it off because is keeps the hitch from drying. It is just a cover, does not seal it and the water standing in it just promotes rusting.

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my curt hitch on install. How did you go about spreading the flanges apart?
I bought a used hitch for my '06 RAV4 years ago. Forgot the brand but either in shipping or otherwise it was slightly too narrow to fit. I bent it out in about five minutes using a hydraulic jack and some wood blocks. The trick is to go a little past what you need because it will regress some when you release the jack.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would think that would add stress to it. Filing 1/8" off the hole would not - unless you filed it so fast you generated heat.

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
I would think that would add stress to it. Filing 1/8" off the hole would not - unless you filed it so fast you generated heat.
Makes no sense to me but whatever.

521 - 526 of 526 Posts