Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 526 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just picked up our new 2013 RAV XLE with AWD on Thursday. I too am looking for a hitch. UHaul hitch #78432 is the same hitch with the same updated directions as Hidden Hitch and Drawtite and the cost is under $159 installed. I would prefer the smaller Class II hitch and I noticed that the 90207 hitch is essentially the same as the 2 inch ones updated for the 2013 RAV. I guess I am wondering why the updated instructions would not work with the 90207 hitch? Currently I have emailed Hidden Hitch and Drawtite to try and get an answer. UHaul does not carry a Class II option for the RAV.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just picked up our new 2013 RAV XLE with AWD on Thursday. I too am looking for a hitch. UHaul hitch #78432 is the same hitch with the same updated directions as Hidden Hitch and Drawtite and the cost is under $159 installed. I would prefer the smaller Class II hitch and I noticed that the 90207 hitch is essentially the same as the 2 inch ones updated for the 2013 RAV. I guess I am wondering why the updated instructions would not work with the 90207 hitch? Currently I have emailed Hidden Hitch and Drawtite to try and get an answer. UHaul does not carry a Class II option for the RAV.
Read post 39 by bigbird and the one after it. We've been talking about this same exact subject. I've already talked to them and they say no go. Big bird is going to go to an installer and try the class II to see if it fits. You could wait for him to report back or go for it and let us know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone think Toyota will come out with a hitch that one can have put on aftermarket? I'd like to be able to take my bike with me on my travels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK, here is the deal guys. I purchased both the Class II and Class III hitches to see what works best. The Drawtite 36490 which is the same as Hidden Hitch 90207 would not fit without modifications I chose not to do. The little rod by the muffler they mention is the updated directions that were posted here acts as a damper to prevent muffler vibrations. The directions say to reposition or remove. DO NOT remove it!! We tried that and there was vibration. Have it repositioned so that it faces towards the front of the car. For the Class II to work the rod needed to be removed and I'm not buying a new car to have it rattle. I'm not saying that a way couldn't be found, but I did not do the install, but paid to have it done. The Class III hitch works fine if you reposition the rod. Just my experience and wanted to pass it on. Two different professionals told me the same thing about the Class II hitch, so I went with the sure thing in the Class III--even though its overkill. Returned the Class II for a full refund and am now waiting for biking weather. Good luck to all in your hitch quest.

·
Registered
151 Posts
OK, here is the deal guys. I purchased both the Class II and Class III hitches to see what works best. The Drawtite 36490 which is the same as Hidden Hitch 90207 would not fit without modifications I chose not to do. The little rod by the muffler they mention is the updated directions that were posted here acts as a damper to prevent muffler vibrations. The directions say to reposition or remove. DO NOT remove it!! We tried that and there was vibration. Have it repositioned so that it faces towards the front of the car. For the Class II to work the rod needed to be removed and I'm not buying a new car to have it rattle. I'm not saying that a way couldn't be found, but I did not do the install, but paid to have it done. The Class III hitch works fine if you reposition the rod. Just my experience and wanted to pass it on. Two different professionals told me the same thing about the Class II hitch, so I went with the sure thing in the Class III--even though its overkill. Returned the Class II for a full refund and am now waiting for biking weather. Good luck to all in your hitch quest.

Bummer to hear the Class II was a no go for you. Any chance of posting some pics? The small picture in the directions is hard to tell exactly where they want you to "re-position" it to. That and I don't have mine to look at yet...2 weeks...I hope! I too would not want a rattling muffler on a new car or any car for that matter. That's not bad for an installed price, was it at a hitch shop or at an actual Uhaul location?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

Great info. I will print out your response and take it with me when I ask to get the Hidden Hitch 70785 Class3/4 installed. I won't even bother asking them to attempt the 90207.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'll be honest, I don't get all of the drama and hysteria in this thread.

When doing the deal for our new LTD, I told our salesman I wanted a receiver hitch (at his cost) so my wife could use a hitch mounted bike rack. He made a call to the local hitch place. They quoted $244 for a hitch with a 2" receiver and it was added into the deal. That was last Friday afternoon.

Today, we picked up the car and there was a shiny, black Hidden Hitch on the back.

No muss, no fuss. My advice, don't get your panties in a bunch. It will all work out.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Any chance of bending down and getting a model number of that Hidden Hitch?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bummer to hear the Class II was a no go for you. Any chance of posting some pics? The small picture in the directions is hard to tell exactly where they want you to "re-position" it to. That and I don't have mine to look at yet...2 weeks...I hope! I too would not want a rattling muffler on a new car or any car for that matter. That's not bad for an installed price, was it at a hitch shop or at an actual Uhaul location?
You will see it easily when you get your RAV. It is a small rod (6 inches or so) right above the muffler that connects to nothing. The end that connects to nothing faces the bumper--right where the hitch needs to go to install. Just reverse the rod so that the end that connects to nothing now faces the front of the car. I had it installed at UHaul, but because I was the first person in my area to bring in a RAV they gave me a deal because they wanted to see if the hitch truly worked. Even if you paid the regular price it would have been under $200. Getting a picture with the hitch now installed would be very difficult and its about 10 degrees here--sorry.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Lol, damn that's cold! Totally understand, thanks for describing it though. Odd that the rod connects to nothing, but still manages to balance out vibration some how.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Even if you paid the regular price it would have been under $200. Getting a picture with the hitch now installed would be very difficult and its about 10 degrees here--sorry.
Sir, you need to take one for the team. :) :)

I took one the other day.:eek:

I'm just saying...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'll be honest, I don't get all of the drama and hysteria in this thread.

When doing the deal for our new LTD, I told our salesman I wanted a receiver hitch (at his cost) so my wife could use a hitch mounted bike rack. He made a call to the local hitch place. They quoted $244 for a hitch with a 2" receiver and it was added into the deal. That was last Friday afternoon.

Today, we picked up the car and there was a shiny, black Hidden Hitch on the back.

No muss, no fuss. My advice, don't get your panties in a bunch. It will all work out.
:shrug:Drama and Hysteria? LOL, I'd love to see what you think of the threads where people keep trying to convince 4.3's why the 4.4 is so much better and back again...now that's a place that could use some sarcasm.

I'm glad you ended up with a dealer that could take care of it for you. 2 Dealers I spoke with said if it wasn't on the Toyota website as an option, they couldn't do it. Maybe liability, maybe incompetence...not sure. I asked one about taking it to a hitch shop and having it done and he just basically said I could go do that too. So I dropped it.

If you follow this thread back you'll see that Hidden Hitch was giving conflicting info at first to several of us that had contacted them directly.

In the end you'll have a hitch and so will the others of us that either have them installed for less than the dealer or do it ourselves.

Oh...and I haven't worn panties in a long time, and My advice: the trick to not letting them bunch up is to just wear the thong. Have a great day :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lol, damn that's cold! Totally understand, thanks for describing it though. Odd that the rod connects to nothing, but still manages to balance out vibration some how.
I thought the same thing, but took it to my Toyota dealer and they said that it just adds a little weight to prevent subtle vibrations. All I know is when it was totally removed there was a "tinny" sound from the muffler that totally disappeared when it was reinstalled. Guess those engineers know what they're doing.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I thought the same thing, but took it to my Toyota dealer and they said that it just adds a little weight to prevent subtle vibrations. All I know is when it was totally removed there was a "tinny" sound from the muffler that totally disappeared when it was reinstalled. Guess those engineers know what they're doing.
Thanks again for your contributions on this subject. Much appreciated by we who are looking for hitches. No drama and hysteria on my part. No panties either.

·
Registered
179 Posts
This just in.....

I crawled under the rear of the new 4.4 tonight in the cold and dark (someone had to man up and do it) and found 2 interesting things.

For those who missed my post above, the dealer called a local hitch place and they quoted $244 for a Hidden Hitch to fit the '13 RAV. We asked for a bike rack hitch, which basically means the hitch without any wiring harness. The dealership took it over on Monday and had it back in a jiffy.

There was a factory part number, including bar code that was covered up with a piece of tape. It had a hand written number on the tape that was 51157.

I peeled of the tape and underneath was the part number............ 70785. This is the hitch that accepts a 2" hitch/ball mount.

So, there you go, folks. Unbunch your panties and get to work. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who pays $1000++ for a Toyota hitch has more money than brains.

Over and out.

Randy

·
Registered
151 Posts
I crawled under the rear of the new 4.4 tonight in the cold and dark (someone had to man up and do it) and found 2 interesting things.

For those who missed my post above, the dealer called a local hitch place and they quoted $244 for a Hidden Hitch to fit the '13 RAV. We asked for a bike rack hitch, which basically means the hitch without any wiring harness. The dealership took it over on Monday and had it back in a jiffy.

There was a factory part number, including bar code that was covered up with a piece of tape. It had a hand written number on the tape that was 51157.

I peeled of the tape and underneath was the part number............ 70785. This is the hitch that accepts a 2" hitch/ball mount.

So, there you go, folks. Unbunch your panties and get to work. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who pays $1000++ for a Toyota hitch has more money than brains.

Over and out.

Randy
Oh wow, you sir are very funny. I'm glad you think you did so well for yourself in demanding the hitch at dealer cost, you only over paid by just shy of $100. Good job, you should have a cookie, or beer, or whatever lil treat you like.

Just in case you missed it, the 1k hitch was something from Toyota Canada, no one who has read this thread will even consider that hitch.

Also, I don't understand your obsession with bunched up panties... I'm sure there are forums out there that would be willing to help or indulge you. I think with my extra $100 I'll get the mud guards, or heck anything else I feel like not over paying for.

Over and out? You can post from your walkie talkie? That's amazing!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oh wow, you sir are very funny. I'm glad you think you did so well for yourself in demanding the hitch at dealer cost, you only over paid by just shy of $100. Good job, you should have a cookie, or beer, or whatever lil treat you like.

Just in case you missed it, the 1k hitch was something from Toyota Canada, no one who has read this thread will even consider that hitch.

Also, I don't understand your obsession with bunched up panties... I'm sure there are forums out there that would be willing to help or indulge you. I think with my extra $100 I'll get the mud guards, or heck anything else I feel like not over paying for.

Over and out? You can post from your walkie talkie? That's amazing!
"Lighten up, Francis." :thumbs_up:

41 - 60 of 526 Posts