Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As we all know by now, the Canadian built RAV’s don’t have the bumper covers for the towing eyelets, or eyelets at all. But, after removing my entire bumper to find where these eyelets screw in so that I can just drill through my bumper to use a basic feature, I’m at a loss. Judging by other pictures of eyelet cover locations, it seems like they go into where that large hole is, but there’s nothing there. Anyone have any suggestions? The aluminum beam itself just doesn’t seem all that sturdy, and has some crappy looking welds.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I thought I read in the manual the other day that the purpose of the removable tow hook eyelet is to aid in transportation for overseas (Japanese) built models, hence only those made in Japan have them. Those made in Canada do not have them.

·
Premium Member
6,523 Posts
I thought I read in the manual the other day that the purpose of the removable tow hook eyelet is to aid in transportation for overseas (Japanese) built models, hence only those made in Japan have them. Those made in Canada do not have them.
The manual clearly states the towing eyelet (if equipped) is for emergency towing, read page 626, section 8-2, Steps to take in an emergency. Vehicles have to be tied down any time they're transported, whether by boat, rail or truck.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Maybe it wasn't the manual where I saw it mentioned then... maybe some TSB because that's what I was reading late last week when I came across something about it.

Edit: Backtracked my services and found where I saw it:

TSB #T-SB-0138-18
NHTSA ID #10152198

Summary:
TSB: Some 2019 model year RAV4 and RAV4 HV vehicles shipped from Japan may have front emergency towing eyelets installed to aid in transportation. Remove the emergency towing eyelets during Pre-Delivery Service (PDS) using the following pro...
I guess re-reading that short summary, maybe I inferred when I shouldn't have. But it's still boggles my mind the rationale that went into putting this in for the Japanese-built cars but not Canadian-built cars. What are they saving? The cost of an eyelet?

·
Premium Member
6,523 Posts
It's not just the cost of the eyelet, but the threaded mounting in the sub-frame as well as the little cover that's on the bumper fascia. This follows suit with the other cost cutting features like the driver's side seat back pocket, eliminating the mounting pockets for the hammock cargo net, no console tray except for the joke tray they put in the Limiteds, and numerous other features that were standard on previous gens.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good on you for digging into it!

My eyelets are definitely threaded into steel. I tapped the threads out to 3/4-10, and I was NOT tapping aluminum haha. Are you saying in the large empty openings, there are no threaded inserts of any kind? I am honestly super surprised!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Out of curiosity, does your have the active shutters in the lower grill section? I can't tell from the pictures. My curiosity is if there is room between the grill and the shutters to put a screen to protect the AC condenser. This way it's on the inside rather than bolted/tie-wrapped on the front.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
If you look closely at the very bottom you can kinda see two horizontal slats. I think he has it. My Fusion has em too so easier for me to identify.

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you look closely at the very bottom you can kinda see two horizontal slats. I think he has it. My Fusion has em too so easier for me to identify. View attachment 144137
Yep, I saw the horizontal slats but they didn't appear to have a mechanism to move them. They appear to just be slats for some other purpose. From what I have read, the need to be able to close like a venison blind to stop air flow. These don't look substantial enough for this purpose.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Yep, I saw the horizontal slats but they didn't appear to have a mechanism to move them. They appear to just be slats for some other purpose. From what I have read, the need to be able to close like a venison blind to stop air flow. These don't look substantial enough for this purpose.
The mechanism is motor assembly off the side that rotates one slat and then the rest move in orchestration. They are not thick at all. Maybe 2mils?

·
Registered
505 Posts
So is there room to slide a mesh between the slats and the grill to protect the AC condenser and not look funny having a mesh tie-wrapped to the front?

·
Premium Member
6,523 Posts
1 - 20 of 57 Posts