Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if the Tow Prep Package is available, or able to be ordered, in NW Ohio? We just bought :D a 2006 Limited, V6 and the dealer said the Tow Prep Package isn't available here yet.

Also, does anyone know if it is a while you wait upgrade or something that will take hours to install? (Given the busi-ness of the service dept of course) .

Thanks, Adam

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry I can't speak specifically to NW Ohio, but not too far away - here in SW Pennsylvania - my 2006 RAV4 just came with the tow prep package.

I'm now looking at tow bar mounted bike racks, and am wondering how to go about getting the best deal on a square bar tow attachment.

If anyone has any tips on whether the 2005 tow bar attachment would fit the 2006, I'd appreciate knowing.

Alternatively, has anyone had luck getting two adult bikes in the back of the RAV4 with the back seats down? Cheaper and drier in there you know ;-)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do you mean a trailer hitch mounted bike rack? If so, somebody posted a pic on this site a while back. He/she had a thuel (sp?) and it was really close to the spare cover. Enough so that they were going to purchase an extension to move things out a little. If you're refering to a trailer hitch when you say "tow bar attachment " the 06 trailer hitch is unique .. but not really expensive and easy to install ... just 4 bolts. If I'm off the mark in my understanding of what you're question is ... please ignor the above .. it's late and I should just shut up. :wink:

I don't know about retro-fitting the tow prep package. It includes a different radiator, alternator, and fan. If the dealer did that it would cost a fortune.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thecat said:
Do you mean a trailer hitch mounted bike rack?... [snip] I don't know about retro-fitting the tow prep package. It includes a different radiator, alternator, and fan. If the dealer did that it would cost a fortune.
I was referring to the hitch itself. My RAV4 came "tow prepped" - but not with the tow hitch itself. I assume that means upgraded radiator, alternator, etc. - but the actual metal bar (or ball) on which something can be attached (trailer, bike rack, etc.) is not there.

If the holes in the chassis on the 2006 RAV4 are not in the exact same places that the holes are on the 2005 or earlier, then I wouldn't think we could buy a 2005/earlier tow hitch and attach it to the 2006 chassis. (That's what I was trying to describe - my apologies if I mangled my question with half-baked descriptions!) :oops:

·
Registered
98 Posts
No sweat. Some people call a submarine sandwich a hoggie.

Since the chassis is new I wouldn't think an 05 hitch would fit. I saw hitches for the 06 somewhere for around $160. Do a google search on trailer hitches and I'm sure you will find a bunch. Aftermarket hitches for the 06 are available. Jiffy Hitch comes to mind. Actually if you search this website you will find photos of the install. It's a 4 bolt attachment that looked easy. FYI the hitch is what attachs to the chassis and then a receiver (bar that the ball gets attached to) slides into the hitch.

·
Registered
652 Posts
thecat said:
No sweat. Some people call a submarine sandwich a hoggie.
lol......... I think it's "some people call a hoagie a submarine sandwich." :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts