Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Curt harness for my 2008 Rav and installed according to directions (even the durn battery wire that runs the length of the car!) and so far have only a hitch brake light with which to test it. I would eventually like to use it with a trailer, but I'm having trouble with the wrong lights at the wrong times.

• All of my car lights are working fine.
  • The trailer brake light only comes on with the left turn signal or the 4-ways
Does anyone have a clue as to what is going wrong with this? Could the pins be in the wrong place on the harness or on the hitch brake light?

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
What model is the Curt wire harness? Which wire from the Curt harness went to the car wires? Without knowing what you did there is no way of finding what the problems is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The harness says it's for 06-12 Rav4. It has T-connectors that go to both the rear brake lights, in between the light and the existing plug..

The Curt site (which has a lousy forum, BTW) says the first two wires are for individual directionals, but both are also labeled for brake. ?

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Can you give me the Curt model number or a link you bought it from ? I need specific information not general information.
I need to know which wire connected to the car. Example: the harness black wire connected to the blue wire on the left turn signal etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you give me the Curt model number or a link you bought it from ? I need specific information not general information.
I need to know which wire connected to the car. Example: the harness black wire connected to the blue wire on the left turn signal etc.
Its #56165, but the T-connectors click into the light sockets for the brakes, so no individual wires (except power and ground). There are several wires going into (between) the sockets, so I assume they run all the functions in the tail lights.

I wish I could find that wiring diagram, but I'm not sure where I came across it... :(

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I am assuming the wire harness are connected correctly so the only thing I can think of is that the unit is defective. The only thing you can screw up is on the passenger side because there is a wire harness that looks identical to the brake harness. The only thing you can do is disconnect the passenger side and just test the driver side only. If the driver side works then I know you connected the passenger side wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip - I'll try it tomorrow in the light!

I felt around for the connector, so it's possible if they both have the same shape....

Oh, also, my meter was giving me an overload on one of the cables when the four-ways would blink. I just remembered that detail.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, so my bad: Turns out, the passenger side was not connected at all! 8| I had attached and detached the harness so many times I had lost track.

Now the hitch light goes on with the brakes, but also with the directionals/four-ways. I guess that's by design, but I don't have a trailer with which to test whether this would be different.

One thing still bothers me: My Fluke meter still shows OL in DC mode on each flash.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Okay, so my bad: Turns out, the passenger side was not connected at all! 8| I had attached and detached the harness so many times I had lost track.

Now the hitch light goes on with the brakes, but also with the directionals/four-ways. I guess that's by design, but I don't have a trailer with which to test whether this would be different.

One thing still bothers me: My Fluke meter still shows OL in DC mode on each flash.
You can buy something like this to test it without actually having it connected to the trailer. The LED signal will flash if it is working properly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts