Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tow bar installed on my 96 RAV4, but it has a 1 1/4 inch receiver. of course everything out there take a 2 inch receiver. I have been trying to locate an adapter but have not been very successful. Any suggestions on where to look and price?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tow bar

i bought my adapter at a local rv store for about $50, but with the warning that every foot out from the stock hitch you go you lower your tongue wieght rating and towing capacity by 10-15% which means that your tongue rating is down to 130-135 lbs and you towing capacity would be down to 1300-1350. At this point i am not sure what you would be towing that needs a 2' anyways. i use mine for a bike rack and i tie some webbing around my spare tire and around the rack to distribute the load because without it its really flexy and sketcky.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am planning on putting on a rack on the back to carry things like my tent, fishing poles and cooler. I am thinking about this because the storage inside the car is not that great and when I go camping, there is hardly any room for my daughter in the backseat. I had thought about a roof rack, but refuse to pay $130-$200 for a few aluminum bars that go on my roof.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i simpathyze with you on the rack issue, even the factory thule rack is expensive. i know the type of carrier that you are refering to, my dad and i make them and use them frequently, however at about 4 feet out (with adapter) your not going to be able to carry a whole lot and stay inside the manufactures wieght rating. I guess you could do it if you distributed the wieght like i do with my bike rack (by tying webbing around the spare tire mount) but its kind of a pain because then you can't open the door without taking the whole thing apart, but if you are going long distance that just might be the trick. i am currently working on finishing a bike rack that uses the 1 1/4" but angles more up than out to clear the rear tire, if that works i might consider putting together a luggage carrier that would work like that (although i think about 80lbs will still be the limit). i will send you pictures of the bike rack to show you what i mean if you would. i hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts