Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid XSE
492 Posts
I have towed approximately 1900 lbs a number of occasions this summer with our XSE (Yamaha Rhino UTV, trailer, and other items). No boat ramp experience. But the longer trips were up to 300 miles with some hills. I didn't encounter any issues at all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have towed approximately 1900 lbs a number of occasions this summer with our XSE (Yamaha Rhino UTV, trailer, and other items). No boat ramp experience. But the longer trips were up to 300 miles with some hills. I didn't encounter any issues at all.
Glad to hear it! Realistically, it'll tow my 900# popup camper some longer distances, but the heavier boat is usually launched within a half hour of my house. If I'm towing it hours, I'm probably taking the whole family with me and using her minivan with a 3600# capacity and factory tow package/cooler. I'm picking up a used 2020 Limited Friday!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got 2-3 weeks to find a new car. I occasionally pull a boat/trailer that I calculated at about 2000# (including all the fluids/gear/junk/etc) It tows very well behind my 4 cylinder Outback and stops just fine too, even without trailer brakes. Which makes me think maybe I've rounded up a bit much on the weight.

Anyhow I had it in my head a little truck would be fun so I drove a Tacoma. Only to find out the adaptive cruise control cuts out below a certain MPH. Which is completely dumb - I use it daily on my commute 45mph-0-back to 45mph following a line of cars behind a school bus on a busy country road. Salesman said the Rav4 and highlander have the better cruise control so I drove a Rav4 Hybrid and loved it. Especially the sticker price - cheaper than another Outback! And 40mpg on the test drive was impressive. Salesman told me it'll tow 2500# I was ready to locate one in the color I want. While he's running some numbers I decide to check his facts on my phone. Nope. Only tows 1750#.

European-spec ones tow the equivalent of 3600# with seemingly no difference than European sensibility and restricted towing speeds. And less lawyers.

Does anyone real-world tow over the 1750# limit? How does it do? Feel free to PM me if you're afraid of armchair litigation. The Subaru forum was full of those folks - maybe it's not like that here?

The Prime version is supposed to tow 2500# but the few I've found out of state haven't arrived yet and will be selling for more than MSRP when they do. Otherwise I'd just get one of them and be done.
May even go used if an older one will work for my needs.
Thank you for your observations.

Edit: I'm going to borrow some automotive scales and weigh my boat and trailer as soon as I'm out of quarantine. If I'm under 1750 I'll go for it. But using MFR numbers for the hull and motor, and title info for the trailer, plus anchors, batteries, gas, etc. I'm probably a bit over. At least the boat is pointy and aerodynamic. Tongue weight is light enough I lift it by hand, and I'm no weightlifter. The scale will tell all, but it's maybe 70#.
I've heard stories of early Highlander Hybrids getting stuck on steep boat ramps, pulling boats that were within their limits. If that happens with the Rav4, that's no good for me. I'm often the only person at the ramp.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Probably a little late in replying but we only just got our RAV4. These comments are from an Australian perspective of a 2021 RAV4 AWD Hybrid (not the Prime). So far - 3500 km - it has lived up to expectations. A weird software glitch in the cruise control a couple of times. Not incapacitating and reported to Toyota on the 1000-2000 km checkup.

A magazine reviewer would possibly grump about the model but they can be taken with a grain of salt. You cant please all the people all the time. For us its operating as per specifications and hindsight checks would not lead me to change though if the Honda CRV equivalent was in the country I might have considered it. All the other quasi hybrids from Japan and Europe and the US that I could pin down looked to be a waste of time cf "Wolf in sheep's clothing": What's wrong with plug-in hybrid electric vehicles FuelEconomy.gov - The official U.S. government source for fuel economy information.

We wanted to tow but it turned out no other Toyota hybrids had any warranteeable towing capacity of note. Note that here in Oz we get them from Japan and we dont have the choice there is in North America or Europe.

In the end we got the so called semi base version above - a GX hybrid. This choice reflected the following:
  • We wanted for starters to be able to tow an unbraked small box trailer of 250 kg with up to another 450kg of stuff like a ride on mower (the trailer capacity). And have the option for more later ie a braked caravan..
  • No other Toyota hybrids (only ones we looked at because other brand hybrids are jokes when it comes to fuel economy) could achieve this. I was surprised that the Camry being so big isnt rated for towing.
  • Only the AWD (4WD) version of the RAV4 hybrid could tow this amount (unbraked towing limit 750 kg, braked towing 1500 kg) without voiding warranty.
  • The manual talks about towing but the latter specifications only being for Australia.....not sure what this implies about elsewhere. These were consistent with toyota australia's RAV4 specifications available as a PDF file. Specs & Dimensions | RAV4 GX, GXL, Cruiser, Edge | Toyota AU
  • The 2WD RAV4 versions dont have much towing capacity whether they are hybrid or not, except the 'Edge' petrol model.
  • We hunted for an explanation about the limits on hybrid towing. At best guess based on a video about Teslas and towing and how this reduces their range, its related to the optimisation of the regenerative braking system and possibly the power of the car being relatively small because of other design features. It seems that with conventional engined vehicles they are designed for power and are happy to waste energy which can be use in towing if needed.
  • In hindsight we also looked at pure EVs and PHEVs. The former have no range when towing. The latter are a deceptive joke noting that the Prime is not yet available in this carbon polluting backwater of a country is expensive the local toyota policy is not to import them......reflecting a lack of understanding of why people buy hybrids and EVs but there you have it.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts