Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at purchasing a boat weight in around 1400lbs, I've read on past post to upgrade the radiator to safely handle the heavier load on the transmission. also being so close to the max allowable towing weight should I travel long distances say 4 hours towing 1400lbs? Just curious before I have to replace a whole tranny. Thanks

·
Registered
423 Posts
I suspect the maximum tongue weight will be an issue. Does the 1400 pounds include the weight of the trailer? And what about your tackle? Or fuel? Gasoline/diesel is pretty heavy; something around nine pounds per gallon. I bet that 1400 pound figure doesn't include a motor either, unless it's an inboard. All that stuff adds up. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Way too close to the limit. No 'fudge factor' anywhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The boat is like 700lb the motor 150lbs trailer 300lbs plus everything else, it only has a 50 litter gas tank on the boat and around 200 pounds extra. Just wondering what the max some of you will tow just so I know?

·
Registered
258 Posts
It looks like you are under the 1,500 pound tow capacity and it should be okay because that is what it is designed for, but it will be a pull for the RAV. If it is 4 hours of flat road, that is one thing but if it is 4 hours of steep grade then that would be something else. Plus are you going to be doing this every weekend or a few times a year? I think that I heard that the actual weight resting on the hitch is 150# max.

·
Registered
423 Posts
It sounds like you've made a good calculation about gross weight. That's good thinking. Personally, I still wouldn't do it. It's a stupid analogy, but think of it this way. Say you have the physical ability to physically pick up two 90-pound bags of cement and heft them on your shoulders. Then walk from the hardware store checkout to your car. Sure, you can do it, but you're going to be pretty sore and tired by the time you get to your car, especially if you parked on the far side of the lot. For a short distance, you could do it, but its not practical for a long distance. Same with towing that much weight. Sure, your RAV can do it, but it really isn't a problem for short trips, say from the storage yard to the launching dock. But, for long trips, in traffic, you'll wear the poor beast out, in addition to being a hindrance to the smooth flow of traffic.

I'm looking at trailers too. Want to get a general utility trailer to haul around my motor bikes and also a pop-up camping trailer. I'm really hoping to keep the gross weight under 750-800 pounds. Shouldn't be a problem finding a utility trailer that small, but there are very few camping trailers that weigh that little.

p.s. If you go ahead, take care how you load up you boat. Put the extras inside to keep the tongue weight under 150 pounds. Easy enough to figure out by using a bathroom scale.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Assuming your numbers are correct you will be right at or just under the limit with full fuel in the boat. It's very easy to underestimate however.........have you accounted for a starting battery? Trolling motor & battery? Spare tire on the trailer? Tools? Spare prop?
It's the little things that add up quickly.

You are aware that you don't normally tow in overdrive correct? I can't see the need for a larger radiator but a transmission cooler may be in order depending on the terrain where you will tow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts