Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

"Towing kills CVTs"

1909 Views 25 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  rick.lafford
Background
Occasionally I tow one or two motorcycles on an all aluminum trailer. The motorcycles are small and weigh less about 400 and 300 pounds each. Let's say 700 pounds of bikes and the trailer weighs 400 pounds.

On my motorcycle forum, I posted a picture of this setup being towed by my 2022 RAV4 Hybrid. Another member promptly told me towing that load will kill the CVT transmission. I've read my transmission is not the typical CVT but that's about all I know.

Am I damaging my transmission towing 1200 pounds or less?

Thanks!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Super Moderator
12,909 Posts
No worries. The term CVT immediately congers up the steel belt and pulley system used by Nissan and others. IMO they pretty much destroy themselves towing or not.

Why Toyota and Honda even use the term as in eCVT is beyond me. That's what Honda calls the "transmission" in my Accord Hybrid when in reality it doesn't even have ANY transmission, being a direct drive system like a Tesla.

Toyota Hybrids use a variable drive system that's been the most trouble free one on the planet since it debuted in the Prius years ago.

Many posts on the drive system.

· Registered
NX350h
12 Posts
Just for reference - My Lexus NX350h (Rav4 Hybrid) has a 2000 lb towing package, with 240 total hp using this trans.

What forum and thread, I am on Advrider also and sub to the lets see your moto hauling thread.:)

· Registered
452 Posts
one cannot ordinarily kill a Toyota hybrid e-cvt (or any planetary gear based cvt)

every other part of the car will die or fall apart before the e-cvt ever has an issue

FFS is just should be called [synergy drive] to keep it out of the cvt-naming arena

you can drive the hell out of it...far more reliable than an automatic tranny, or anyone else's CVT
that uses belts or balls and cones.

· Registered
2022 RAV4 Hybrid AWD LE
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just for reference - My Lexus NX350h (Rav4 Hybrid) has a 2000 lb towing package, with 240 total hp using this trans.

What forum and thread, I am on Advrider also and sub to the lets see your moto hauling thread.:)
Not advrider.com. One of my bikes is a Versys X300 and it was on that bike specific forum.

· Registered
RAV4 Hybrid XSE
120 Posts
The “CVT” in eCVT is achieved with a planetary gear set in combination with a small electric motor (not the one that powers the wheels) that controls the outer ring gear providing the variable in CVT. There are no slush box torque converters, no clutches as in dual clutch automatics and no belts as in conventional CVTs. This should be more reliable than those other types of transmissions. Keep towing and ignore people who don’t know what they’re talking about.

If you got a few minutes give this a look.

· Registered
2022 RAV4 Hybrid AWD LE
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The “CVT” in eCVT is achieved with a planetary gear set in combination with a small electric motor (not the one that powers the wheels) that controls the outer ring gear providing the variable in CVT. There are no slush box torque converters, no clutches as in dual clutch automatics and no belts as in conventional CVTs. This should be more reliable than those other types of transmissions. Keep towing and ignore people who don’t know what they’re talking about.

Thanks for the peace of mind.

· Registered
452 Posts
that Weber video (among other things) convinced me to buy the rav4 hybrid ...knowing
the cvt transmission is essentially superior to any other manual or automatic or other type of CVT

it's stupid simple and bombproof. keep fluid at correct level and change it on schedule....like a lawnmower.
just dump out Toyota WS and throw new WS oil in.

· Registered
2022 Hybrid SE
170 Posts
that Weber video (among other things) convinced me to buy the rav4 hybrid ...knowing
the cvt transmission is essentially superior to any other manual or automatic or other type of CVT

it's stupid simple and bombproof. keep fluid at correct level and change it on schedule....like a lawnmower.
Change it in intervals of 50K (80K km) and it will last forever. Toyota assumes it's lifetime - total B.S.

· Registered
21 RAV4 XLE Premium AWD Gas
184 Posts
The Lifetime fluid is correct, it lasts the life of the transmission, but the kicker is that if it lasts 10,000 miles, that was the life of that transmission, they will make no bones telling you, it last a lifetime, could be 5yrs, or 20 years and 10,000 miles, 300,000 miles...
It is the life of the transmission. As whenever it dies, that was its life.
Ah Hahahahaha...
So, im changing the oil every 500 miles, transfer case and rear end at 30,000, and trans. at around 50,000

· Registered
21 RAV4 XLE Premium AWD Gas
184 Posts

Sorry, what is WS...? i tried to figure it out but i kept going down a rabbit hole that didnt work... LOL

Is there a different transmission in the ICE than the Hybrid..?

· Registered
59 Posts

Ah you beat me to it. I was going to post this same YouTube reference. The same fellow also has a video about CVT transmissions. The eCVT in the RAV4 is light years ahead of the conventional CVT.

· Super Moderator
12,909 Posts
Sorry, what is WS...? i tried to figure it out but i kept going down a rabbit hole that didn't work... LOL
WS is the name of Toyota's World Standard transmission fluid.

· Registered
13 Posts
The manual says no more then 1750 lbs that includes cargo weight, so as long as passengers + cargo + trailer + bikes is less than that, you should be ok, especially if it is occasional use.
Background
Occasionally I tow one or two motorcycles on an all aluminum trailer. The motorcycles are small and weigh less about 400 and 300 pounds each. Let's say 700 pounds of bikes and the trailer weighs 400 pounds.

On my motorcycle forum, I posted a picture of this setup being towed by my 2022 RAV4 Hybrid. Another member promptly told me towing that load will kill the CVT transmission. I've read my transmission is not the typical CVT but that's about all I know.

Am I damaging my transmission towing 1200 pounds or less?

Thanks!
Unfortunately you should not be towing anything with a CVT because of its design it's a belt driven transmission. It will not last 10,000 miles if you keep if you keep doing it. its probably already damaged. That's why I bought the naturally aspirated RAV4 because they all come with 8 speed transmissions.

· Super Moderator
12,909 Posts
Unfortunately you should not be towing anything with a CVT because of its design it's a belt driven transmission. It will not last 10,000 miles if you keep if you keep doing it. It's probably already damaged. That's why I bought the naturally aspirated RAV4 because they all come with 8 speed transmissions.
Sorry, you are wrong, but that's just the common misconception this whole thread is about.

And while true for other car brands it is virtually the absolute opposite of the so called eCVT Toyota has been using since the Prius.

Please read the responses posted here, especially #4, #9 & #11.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts