Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went down to lake Guntersville Alabama over the weekend. Only issue was the ramps were so shallow I had the whole back end underwater to unload the boat. Half the rear bumper was under water. Spent 30 min pulling weeds from under the body and out of the wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Thanks for the update - good to hear that you were able to launch and retrieve your boat and that your RAV did well. Now all that you need to do is to invent something to prevent weeds from causing a problem! :wink

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
Yep, thanks for the update. It went pretty much as I expected, dire predictions on the other thread notwithstanding.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Yep, thanks for the update. It went pretty much as I expected, dire predictions on the other thread notwithstanding.
That's not the boat the other thread was about. This is a very light outboard, the boat that was being asked about is this one. It is considerably heavier.....
Also, being an inboard, launching is nothing like pushing a small outboard boat off of the trailer if the water is shallow. It's 21' long with a direct drive 350 cube engine. All up towing weight could approach 6000 lbs with fuel, water ballast, gear, tower, etc.

Reactions: DVS

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Yeah - it appeared that the boat which actually was launched was done as a trial and that was successful. Even launching and retrieving that boat with the RAV in question could be problematic with many of the ramps in our area, which generally have a much steeper angle.

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
That's not the boat the other thread was about. This is a very light outboard, the boat that was being asked about is this one. It is considerably heavier.....
Also, being an inboard, launching is nothing like pushing a small outboard boat off of the trailer if the water is shallow. It's 21' long with a direct drive 350 cube engine. All up towing weight could approach 6000 lbs with fuel, water ballast, gear, tower, etc.
Agreed. If we were talking motorcycles I'd have known the difference - like between a 400 lb sport bike and a 1000+lb V8 Boss Hoss.

All I had to see here is the tandem axle trailer and the "inboard with 350" to know it would take a full size vehicle to tow it even just in & out of the water.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How much does the boat and trailer weigh? And what's the tongue weight? I'm hoping to tow a camper that weighs 1200 pounds and a tongue weight of 185. (I would have trailer brakes)

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
I'm around 1300lb no trailer brakes. Tongue weight is about 80lb. I can dead lift it with one hand.
Well, if we had this info on the other thread the answers might have been quite different and a lot shorter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have a thread is about a guy pulling a Mastercraft wake boat he's looking about 4000 pounds

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Re: the other thread --

FINALLY, people are starting to "get it."

If you look at how far into the water this 4.4 was, it should at least be indicative of the likelihood for problems with the other boat which weighs about THREE TIMES as much, albeit on a different ramp.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
You have a thread is about a guy pulling a Mastercraft wake boat he's looking about 4000 pounds
The naked hull with engine is 2850 lbs, no batteries, no tower, no fuel, nothing.
The trailer weighs 1580 without a spare tire. That's 4430 without a drop of fuel, batteries, wake tower, bare bones. Ready for the water it is considerably more than "about 4000 lbs".

Reactions: DVS

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The naked hull with engine is 2850 lbs, no batteries, no tower, no fuel, nothing.
The trailer weighs 1580 without a spare tire. That's 4430 without a drop of fuel, batteries, wake tower, bare bones. Ready for the water it is considerably more than "about 4000 lbs".
Ok, well more than three times as heavy then.

My guess is that we won't hear back from the OP of the other thread (h2osnow), or if we do, at the very least there won't be any pictures one way or the other.

It still never ceases to amaze me how so many owners think the RAV4 is in any way, shape or form heavy duty. Yes, it's very useful and great in it's own way, but it's not heavy duty just because it's labeled an "SUV," nor is it even moderately off-road worthy (see this).

The RAV4 is really just a tall Camry wagon with an optional (weak) AWD system that was only designed to help stay on the road in slippery or loose conditions. That's pretty much it. The 4.4 in particular has the same engine, transmission and ground clearance as the (4-cylinder only!) Camry. While I'd bet most owners can't bear the thought if "I really bought a Camry," it is at the least very close to the truth where it truly counts: structurally.

Here's a good smoke test: if you wouldn't even consider doing it in a Camry, you really shouldn't try it in a RAV4.

Be safe, and use the right tool for the right job.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I build camrys for a living. I know exactly what you are talking about. I bought the rav purely as a get to work car. I normally use my 98 explorer for pulling the boat and winter driving. Believe it or not the little rav pulled the boat just as easy as my big red dinosaur. I don't plan on using it to pull with much. I am adding all the RAV4 adventure upgrades as soon as one hits my dads lit and we can figure out what all I need. Bigger radiator, oil cooler and a tranny cooler are all in the works. About to start building a bigger boat, aluminum, but odds are it's going to be way outside the RAV4s ability.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts