Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked all around for information on this and can't find anything. There's plenty of info now about towing WITH the RAV4 Hybrid, but what about towing it with another vehicle? Specifically I'm wondering, since the AWD-i means there's only an electric motor attached to the rear axle, is it possible to tow it with a dolly that keeps just the front wheels off the ground like you can with a normal FWD vehicle? I'd like to eventually get a motorhome and the RAV4 would be the perfect dinghy vehicle if it can be towed in this way.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
I don't know if you could get an "official" answer but I agree the rear wheels should be okay on the road. When they aren't powered by the i-AWD they are doing the same thing - coasting.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Read the manual, it clearly states the Hybrid AWD can't be towed with ANY wheels on the ground, page 187 in the 2016 .pdf manual.

Your vehicle is not designed to be dinghy towed (with 4 wheels
on the ground) behind a motor home.
NOTICE
■To avoid serious damage to your vehicle
■To prevent causing serious damage to the hybrid transmission and
AWD system
Do not tow your vehicle with 4 wheels on
the ground.
Never tow this vehicle with any of the
wheels on the ground. This may cause
serious damage to the hybrid transmission
and AWD system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that's annoying. Thanks guys. I looked for it in the manual, but I clearly wasn't looking in the right place. That's too bad, it'd be perfect otherwise. I guess I'll have to get a cheap dinghy vehicle when I decide to get an RV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts