Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I love my Limited, but if I knew that the V6 was really a necessity for towing anything, I'd have found one with that engine. Oh well, keeping the car, but still dreaming about possibly getting a teardrop trailer. I've got a Class III hitch (aftermarket Curt) which I use for our bike rack. But just found this teardrop and was wondering ... might it work?

https://www.outsideonline.com/2183526/testing-hiker-trailer-5-8-deluxe-camping-trailer?utm_source=facebook

Inexpensive? Light weight, under 1,500 lbs. during this review ... what do you all think?

Plenty of great advice here already about towing with the I4, if all I wanted to haul was a PWC I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Appreciate any replies...TIA

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The advantage with that trailer is that it's pretty low, so it's won't be too hard to tow, with a transmission oil cooler and trailer brakes I would not be too worried to tow that with a 4 cyl, just don't overload the tongue weight or install air bags, or you might wear out your rear tires pretty quickly because of the rear camber when loaded...

Reactions: kjarrett

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Should be ok. I had a i4 truck with 149hp that I use to tow about 3Klbs with. The Rav has a bit more grunt than that. Freind of mine tows a scamp camper with her H4 Forester. Make sure your tranny fluid is good, and get a bigger cooler. Wouldn't worry about it to much. Tow and go.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. How expensive are tranny coolers? Advice on any specific ones?

-kj-

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I have a B&M stacked plate model, it's a tight fit, but it works.

Reactions: kjarrett

·
Registered
18 Posts
Kjarrett, I have a 2012 I-4 4WD that I tow a small camper with. I had a mechanic friend install a transcooler. He did not have a problem and it's a worthwhile piece of equipment. I had a hitch company install a Curt hitch and wiring. I tow a camper made by HOME - RunawayCampers.com. I have the Navigator model. It's considerably cheaper than the one in the article you linked and weighs much less. My model weighs 780# and my RAV pulls it just fine. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mlockhart, thank you! Which model camper do you have?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would go find the existing one in your car. Then get one that is bigger but will still fit. Also look at the way the hoses come in and out of the stock cooler. Will want a new cooler with the hoses configured in a similar fashion .
Hi I looked but didn't see anything in front of the radiator, can you tell me where I should see it?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, missed that in your original post. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's hockey puck-shaped and located on the right side, lower front of the engine. It'll be between the battery and engine, but lower than the battery. The trans cooler I installed fit in front of the vehicle's radiator, behind the grill. Forgot which model I bought but got it from etrailer.com. They have a good vehicle-specific selection. I also bought an extra hose which was needed on my install.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts