Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I wanted to know if anybody does any towing with there rav4, I was thinking of getting a jet-ski, and one of those single set trailers, but wasnt sure if the tranny would get damaged, do we have tranny coolers built in already? or is this something I should think about adding? I was going to get a class 3 trailer hitch, and see if it works, let me know if youve had any experience with towing with your rav4, thanks,,,Josef,,,

·
Registered
176 Posts
I know some have towed small trailers. Kelly I think used to tow a light tent trailer. I have towed a golf cart trailer without any problems. I will be towing a trailer I am setting up to haul my motorcycle. Bike and trailer about 800 pounds.
They say 1500 lbs max with 150 lbs tongue weight is all the RAV4 should tow.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The stock tow hitch is rated for 1000# and 100# toungue weight. You can probably tow small trailers or a single jet ski with no problem. I wouldn't worry about the transmission cooler. I always recomend a good synthetic ATF fluid. I used Amsoil. If the tranny keeps shifting too much, then turn the O/D switch off.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Just drove the Rav4 fully loaded with four adults and luggage to match up and down the Blue Ridge Mountains in Shenandoah. The A/T overheat light did not come on once. I would recommend towing with the overdrive off and (if things get tricky, like they were for me at times) with the ECT in power mode.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My tow hitch is the OEM that came on my '98 and it has a sticker on it that says 1500 lbs max with 150 lbs tongue weight and on page 159 of the owner's manual that came with my 2000 is says 1500 lbs max towing weight.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm in the process of prepping my 2nd 4.1 RAV4 4-door for towing. It already has the tow package, so all I really have to do is set up the wiring. With my 1st RAV (a '97) I towed a well-loaded 4x8 utility-type trailer on 1,200 mile trips at least 6 times without any problems.

You should only use a class 1 hitch, and Toyota specifies that the total trailer weight (trailer & load together) not exceed 1,500 lb. That translates to a maximum tongue weight of 150 lb., but I'd suggest keeping it as close to 100 lb. as possible. Toyota also says that total trailer weights in excess of 600 lb. require trailer brakes, but my trailer doesn't have them.

The important thing to remember is that you can't drive your RAV the same way with a trailer on it as you can without it - ESPECIALLY if it's a 2WD. Starting & stopping are going to take more time and more planning (particularly on wet roads), and keeping pace with traffic in hilly or mountainous areas is going to be a challenge.

J

·
0 Posts
:D My first Post but I hope it helps you out. I regularly tow a 21ft Caravan with my SWB 94 Manual Rav. The Caravan weighs around 1000kgs fully loaded and my RAV Tows this with no problems at all ,it doesn't even get warm! so towing a Jetski should be no problem. As has been said watch the Nose/Tongue weight but with careful loading you should be fine although I have no idea what your Towbars are like,in the UK they are pretty substantial and bolt to the Chassis members.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just a follow up on towing with your 4.1.
I finished my motorcycle hauling trailer and needed to use it this week to take my motorcycle to the shop when it developed a rattle in the engine at 263 miles.
Motorcycle is 869 pounds and trailer is about 250. The RAV did great except on the freeway hills it needed to be locked out of overdrive. Other than that it was hardly noticed that the trailer was back there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts