Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to go out to the Tacoma are in Washington this spring and bring back some things from my uncles estate. I would rather rent a uhaul and tow instead of a truck. Would it be safe to tow one of the 8 foot enclosed U-Haul trailers from Puyallup, WA to Billings, MT? Weight inside trailer would not be huge, just an antique china hutch and desk with some smaller items.

Thanks, Steve

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
Your tow vehicle?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Since your profile indicates that your RAV has the 4 cyl engine one obviously would need to not exceed the Owner's Manual gross vehicle weight (total towed weight including trailer and contents) restriction of 1500 lbs. and presumably wiring would be needed to accommodate trailer lights. Towing anything with a gross vehicle weight which exceeds 600 lbs. requires trailer wheel brakes, according to Toyota. Also there are mountain ranges to cross so one would need to be mindful of towing vehicle power requirements. U-Haul should be able to supply a suitable trailer hitch.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
If shipping is an option I'd recommend that first, at least for items you can't fit in your RAV4.

Second rent a truck.

Just setting your RAV4 up to tow is going to be an expense let alone the strain in the mountains. A lightly loaded small trailer is going to bounce quite a bit possibly damaging antique furniture.

Is selling instead of moving any of it a possibility?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If shipping is an option I'd recommend that first, at least for items you can't fit in your RAV4.

Second rent a truck.

Just setting your RAV4 up to tow is going to be an expense let alone the strain in the mountains. A lightly loaded small trailer is going to bounce quite a bit possibly damaging antique furniture.

Is selling instead of moving any of it a possibility?
Shipping may be an option depending on the cost.

Renting a truck may be the best option but would have to tow the Rav or put it on a trailer.

I would like to get the hitch put on anyway as I have a small 4 x 8 trailer for around town to haul items home from the store - plywood, etc.

The wear on the Rav while towing would be my biggest concern with towing.

As far as selling the items, I would do that in a second but would get overruled by my wife.

Thanks for the help!
Steve

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
I would like to get the hitch put on anyway as I have a small 4 x 8 trailer for around town to haul items home from the store - plywood, etc.

The wear on the Rav while towing would be my biggest concern with towing.

As far as selling the items, I would do that in a second but would get overruled by my wife.
And she has a place to store them in her space? That would change my wife's mind.

I'd have no problem with a 4' X 8' flatbed trailer with the load set low, but an upright enclosed trailer adds a lot of constant aero load - for 850 miles. That would concern me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And she has a place to store them in her space? That would change my wife's mind.

I'd have no problem with a 4' X 8' flatbed trailer with the load set low, but an upright enclosed trailer adds a lot of constant aero load - for 850 miles. That would concern me.
Oh, this gets even worse. We don't have room for the stuff in our current house so will have to rent storage space until the day comes when we can get a larger house.

yeah, I had big reservations about towing that bigger trailer that far.

Thanks. Steve

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
Oh, this gets even worse. We don't have room for the stuff in our current house so will have to rent storage space until the day comes when we can get a larger house.
Soooo, store it in Tacoma until the storage expense equals it's value and then sell it to break even. Although several friends told him not to that's what a friend of mine did because, "my furniture is expensive." Years and about $7,000 in storage fees later :doh: he sold most of it and loaned the rest to people who could store it for him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If I may interject my opinion and personal experience, I would rent a big UHaul and just move that stuff. The first time that I tried towing anything, I didn't realize that I was dragging a trailer and overturned both the trailer and it's contents because of taking a corner too sharply. ON top of carrying antiques, you are also going probably have turns, stops and parking to not only worry about. You also have the additional worry of not being able to back up whatsoever. I say it isn't worth the headache of making sure everything is still there and the fact that you will be towing with a 4 cylinder. I would do it in my Honda but my wife's Rav-4 would result in my butt being dragged.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
I agree. Whatever happens the 4-cyl RAV4 should have no part.
I'd do it with my V6 RAV4 - and my 200,000 miles of towing experience.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
An 18 footer with a ramp and a car dolly should do the trick.

Did Miami to NY back in '81 with an 18' Ryder truck (4 speed) and towed my '74 MGB behind it too - disconnected the drive shaft to save the tranny. It was fun back then.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
As suggested, renting a vehicle may be the best option. Rentalcars.com has great deals (they work with major brands and their local rental sites). Plus, you can usually rent a vehicle with unlimited miles. I did this last July, as I and a friend sold our Rocky mtn. condo (outside of Denver) and needed to transport various smaller items not included in the property sale. Rented a Sienna; back seat folded down into the floor, middle seats unlatched and removed. Plenty of space, and we did load it up. The Sienna was a champ going cross country from NJ to the Rocky mtns. Not a hint of a problem and the 6-cyl did not use a drop of oil.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
I like Ben's van idea - thinking my $1700 Odyssey would hold a lot of stuff with the seats out and would make the trip nicely. Then for the $25/month I pay for liability insurance it could be used as the needed storage - only movable. That's a pretty low storage fee and it would also double as an extra vehicle in a pinch - albeit driving around with a load of furniture.

Or, as another even more practical option, contract Wile E. Coyote to travel to Tacoma on his Rocket Sled and deploy several Acme Spherical Bombs, maybe in the desk drawers and hutch compartments. Just make sure he is clearly instructed :egad: to key the time delay other than the default B. (See FIG. 1)
http://www.psfk.com/2014/01/acme-co-diagrams-road-runner-coyote.html

·
Registered
423 Posts
Would it be safe to tow one of the 8 foot enclosed U-Haul trailers from Puyallup, WA to Billings, MT?
U-Haul trailers are heavy. According to the U-Haul website, a 4x8 cargo trailer weighs 850 pounds. The 5x8 weighs 900 pounds. (No info on tongue weight, but that can be changed on how you load the trailer.)

That gives you a max of 600-650 pounds of haulage. Assuming I-90 and the passes you would have to cross, it will be a difficult drive, especially this time of year.

Will it be "safe"? Sure, if you take it slow and easy. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Too close to the limit. I paid a lot for my RAV and am not inclined to trash it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I may interject my opinion and personal experience, I would rent a big UHaul and just move that stuff. The first time that I tried towing anything, I didn't realize that I was dragging a trailer and overturned both the trailer and it's contents because of taking a corner too sharply. ON top of carrying antiques, you are also going probably have turns, stops and parking to not only worry about. You also have the additional worry of not being able to back up whatsoever. I say it isn't worth the headache of making sure everything is still there and the fact that you will be towing with a 4 cylinder. I would do it in my Honda but my wife's Rav-4 would result in my butt being dragged.
Thanks for your input, I have decided it is not worth trying to tow. I will get prices on shipping and renting a truck and let my wife decide what to do.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
In my experience U-Haul trucks are real gasoline burners no matter what the size, perhaps apart from pickup trucks. With gasoline prices being so low now, that is less of a concern. The last U-Haul I rented had such a loud differential whine that it drove my wife to tears - we had to double back to our home (52 miles) to get her noise-cancelling headphones. Fortunately the U-Haul franchisee deducted the mileage required but we still had to pay for the gas we used - much pricier than it is now. And the rental cost per mile wasn't cheap, either.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts