Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2015 Rav4 FWD. I'm looking at upgrading my camper I currently have a pop-up and it pulls great with just a little lose on fuel. I would love to upgrade to a small self contained the weight is the issue. The camper I am looking at has a tongue weight of only 400lbs but the total weight is 3,000lbs. The hitch says it is rated at 3,500 lbs. My question is I saw on here that the Rav is rated at only 1,500 lbs. So does it not matter what the hitch is rated at?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hi,

short answer is your rav4 is rated at 150 tongue and 1500 pulling, so the hitch rating is limited to that. No, it's not made to pull more than a pop up...

I pull a 3000# trailer with my V6, and I'm at the limit of the tongue weight and towing rating, 400# of tongue is a lot for a small trailer, once loaded it can be even more.

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
The 3500# hitch (standard for a 2" receiver) doesn't know it's attached to a vehicle whose engine and transmission are rated for 1500#, as explained in your owner's manual.

Not only is your pop-up much lighter than a 3000# upright camper, it also pushes very little wind, especially by comparison. That's reflected in your low loss of fuel mileage.

Towing an upright camper, even an aerodynamic fiberglass one, a 16' Castia, with a V6 RAV4 dropped our mileage to 15mpg, and that's at 55-60mph. Even a well designed camper adds a big aero load 100% of the time.

For any towing other than very local trips either stick with the pop-up or buy more towing capacity along with the bigger camper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts