Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota's New Hybrid SUV Is a Bargain at Only $700 More - TheStreet

Toyota is launching a new hybrid SUV, a more affordable version of the Lexus NX300h hybrid SUV, which starts at $42,250.
Toyota's version is a RAV4 that starts at $29,270 for the XLE equipment grade version. It's $34,510 for the loaded Limited version.
A hybrid SUV that's comparable but $13,000 cheaper than a Lexus is a compelling argument for consumers.

But there is another way of looking at things. When compared to the non-hybrid version of the otherwise same, all-wheel-drive RAV4, the hybrid RAV4 represents a premium of only $700. That's right: $700.

Remember when getting the hybrid version of a car used to add several thousand dollars to the price? That appears to be in the past. Toyota has sold eight million hybrids to date, and has achieved significant scale for the technology first introduced in Japan in the mid-late 1990s.
As a result, the "hybrid premium" has dropped from several thousand dollars.
The major advantage of Toyota's hybrid technology is significantly improved fuel economy, especially in stop-and-go driving that is common in cities. Toyota claims an improvement of at least 10 MPG in city driving, to 34 MPG in the hybrid RAV4. In a driving test, the average was 38 MPG.
Toyota's fuel efficiency assertion for the four-wheel-drive SUV was conservative. Imagine that in an era where manufacturers are more likely to exaggerate their products' capabilities.

There's more.
The hybrid version also yields more horsepower and torque, faster acceleration and greater towing capacity than the regular gasoline version. Consider the statistics below:
Horsepower: 176 (gasoline) vs 194 (hybrid)
Torque: 174 (gasoline) vs 206 (hybrid)
0-60 MPH: 9.0 seconds (gasoline) vs 8.1 seconds (hybrid)
Towing: 1,500 lbs (gasoline) vs 1,750 lbs (hybrid)
The $700 premium for the hybrid version is a bargain.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
If gasoline continues in the $2.12 per gallon range as it is around here now it will take longer to amortise the hybrid's reported $700 increased price differential, and OPEC in their latest meeting in Vienna have stated that they are not going to cut production, so gas prices probably will continue to be relatively low for at least some time. Other incentives for buying a hybrid RAV4 could be the increase horsepower (that would decrease if sustained acceleration or heavy use depletes the battery pack's output) and increased towing capacity.

·
Registered
182 Posts
As someone who tends to keep his cars a long time I find the hybrid premium very reasonable, especially because I do appreciate the extra torque. I don't drive with a lead foot, but I do want torque off the line for getting on freeways or when a situation may call for it. And there is a noticeable difference over the gas model.

I'd love to see gas prices stay low, but with world politics being what they are, that's never a safe bet. The minute gas prices spike up, dealers will feel the need to discount less on the hybrid. This is the perfect time to buy a hybrid for those who are interested in one. Unfortunately the inventory is currently very low so there are very few to chose from and dealers aren't discounting as much. I expect/hope that will change once the new year arrives and Toyota sets their sites on the announced goal of being the #1 CUV seller in 2016.

·
Registered
932 Posts
NEW 2016 Toyota RAV4
Stock #:052035 855-239-9146 FitzWay Low Price at FitzMall.comCompare At [?]$24,598
Freight + $900
FitzWay Low Price$25,498*
NEW 2016 Toyota
Body Style: AWD 4dr XLE (Model#: 4442)
Color: BARCELONA RED / ASH CLOTH
VIN: JTMRFREV9GJ052035 / Trans: Automatic w/OD
Map/Directions
Price Includes Freight
MSRP: $29,214
$3,716 Below MSRP

NEW 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
Stock #:000845 855-239-9146 FitzWay Low Price at FitzMall.comCompare At [?]$29,994
Freight + $900
FitzWay Low Price$30,894*
NEW 2016 Toyota
Body Style: AWD 4dr XLE (Model#: 4444)
Color: CLASSIC SILVER / BLACK CLOTH
VIN: JTMRJREV8GD000845 / Trans: CVT w/OD
Map/Directions
Price Includes Freight
MSRP: $31,874
$980 Below MSRP

http://www.fitzmall.com/

·
Registered
41 Posts
I want a Hybrid but right now the price diff is a lot more then $700. Around my neck of the woods I am seeing huge discounts on the gas models but very few discounts on the Hybrids. For example, below is one of many gas Limiteds near me for over $2500 off MSRP (not including the $750 for collage grad in past 2 yrs which does not apply for most people). So the true diff is over $3000 for the Hybrid limited. As stated above I think we need to wait longer for more Hybrids to arrive to get a better deal. I hope they start to discount the Hybrids as much as they are with the gas models.

2016 Toyota RAV4 Limited

MSRP:$35,530
Internet Price:$32,939
Incentive:$750
Final Price:$32,189

Bodystyle: SUV
Engine: 2.5LL I-4 cyl
Transmission: 6 Speed Automatic
Exterior Color: Black
Interior Color: Cinnamon
Stock #: 6155
Model Code: 4452
Drive Line: All-wheel Drive
VIN: 2T3DFREV1GW409154

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think if you are patient the price difference will narrow from what you are seeing right now. Where is your neck of the woods?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am in Connecticut. Torrington Toyota is the dealer near me with 3k off limited models.

New Toyota Cars for Sale | New Toyota Deals & Specials | Torrington Toyota
I think you just need to be patient and let the inventory build on the hybrids. There aren't many anywhere right now, but in SoCal where I am, one dealer has a hybrid XLE listed at $1350 under msrp. If he's listing it for that, others will sell at that price too. And, IMO, when they start having them fill up the lots, the deals will improve.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just did a quick autotrader search and there is hope. Nothing very close to me.

Hybrid XLE $25,977 (MSRP $29,585)
HTML:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2016&zip=06117&showcaseListingId=385727116&mmt=[TOYOTA[RAV4[]][]]&vehicleStyleCodes=HYBEL&modelCode1=RAV4&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&makeCode1=TOYOTA&startYear=1981&showcaseOwnerId=103585&firstRecord=0&numRecords=100&searchRadius=500&listingId=417770993&Log=0">Hybrid XLE</a>
Hybrid XLE with Convenience Package $27,937 (MSRP $31,559)
HTML:
 http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2016&zip=06117&showcaseListingId=385727116&mmt=[TOYOTA[RAV4[]][]]&vehicleStyleCodes=HYBEL&modelCode1=RAV4&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&makeCode1=TOYOTA&startYear=1981&showcaseOwnerId=103585&firstRecord=0&numRecords=100&searchRadius=500&listingId=417948363&Log=0">Hybrid XLE with Convenience Package</a>
Hybrid Limited $32,490 (MSRP $35,125)
HTML:
 http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2016&zip=06117&showcaseListingId=385727116&mmt=[TOYOTA[RAV4[]][]]&vehicleStyleCodes=HYBEL&modelCode1=RAV4&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&makeCode1=TOYOTA&startYear=1981&showcaseOwnerId=103585&firstRecord=0&numRecords=100&searchRadius=500&listingId=417248296&Log=0">Hybrid Limited</a>

·
Registered
182 Posts
All of your links lead to a "This car is no longer listed for sale." page. But I have seen some other discounts on autotrader too. I also think that when Toyota starts advertising the 2016 Ravs and posts the specs, dealers will be more on board with moving them. I wouldn't be surprised if there are either incentives or increased holdbacks to the dealer once the new year hits. I'm wanting to buy, but I also want to see some of the color choices in person and still decide on options. I'm not overly impressed with the convenience package on the XLE. To me, some of those features are totally worthless.

·
Registered
182 Posts
OK, I got the links to work this time. Those look like good deals. But one thing you do have to be careful of is that some states allow ridiculous doc prep fees. So some dealers will claim to sell at a lower price and then charge a ridiculous doc prep fee. Of course, I don't know if that's true of these dealers or not. It would be nice to know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah I am sure there are some hidden fees. I am going to print it and tell my dealer to match it. I am sure I will get laughed at and then I will continue to wait.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts