Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to connect a amp to the 2006 Stock radio with the radio code 58827 without all sorts of adapters and kits? I have tried seaching it up a bit But i only found all sorts of kit and adapters

·
Registered
453 Posts
There is no line out on that stock OE radio. You need that line adapter, like for example: SCOSCHE LOC80 Car Stereo Speaker 2-Channel Audio Adjustable Level Lineout Converter

PS: JBL radios have a line out because they have an external factory amp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no line out on that stock OE radio. You need that line adapter, like for example: SCOSCHE LOC80 Car Stereo Speaker 2-Channel Audio Adjustable Level Lineout Converter

PS: JBL radios have a line out because they have an external factory amp.
thanks a lot!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can just hit the "Like" button ;)

That is just a 2 channel (stereo) adapter. It has 5 wires. Two pairs that are connecting the two speakers and one ground. However if you want to use the radio's front-rear balance, you need a 4 channel amplifier and 4 channel adapter.
but will i still be able to use the stock speakers in the doors or do you think it's easier just to get a new headunit

·
Registered
453 Posts
Oh, I forgot to say that some amplifiers have both line inputs and "high level" inputs, so they don't need adapters. Just connect the high level to the speaker outputs.

A new headunit is possible too, but they get hot in that dash space, you can't really use the max power that they claim they have. Even at medium volumes, they get in thermal limitation quickly, especially in the summer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, I forgot to say that some amplifiers have both line inputs and "high level" inputs, so they don't need adapters. Just connect the high level to the speaker outputs.
but i will still need some sort of plug won't i? because if i look at the back of the radio the only have those big plugs. btw sorry for my lack of understanding it's my first time doing something like this :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
The new radio (head end) will have to come with some sort of adapter harness, specifically for Toyota, to match the OE plugs with the new radio. There is an international standard for those plugs, but Toyota doesn't care. This this site, they have good explanations for everything:
After selecting the car, click on the See the installation gear you'll need

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The new radio (head end) will have to come with some sort of adapter harness, specifically for Toyota, to match the OE plugs with the new radio. There is an international standard for those plugs, but Toyota doesn't care. This this site, they have good explanations for everything:
After selecting the car, click on the See the installation gear you'll need
I have tried buying one of those 2 Channel lineout converters But Where Do the 5 wires go and How do i connect Them the smartest way?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Depending if you want your sound system really loud you would need to get better speakers and a 4 channel amp. Most amp are for one pair of speaker. For your car you need a 4 channel amp for front and rear speakers. The stock speakers just don't cut it since they are low wattage so an upgrade should be considered. A radio with 20w x4 built in amp should be loud enough and give better result if you don't want to spend too much money. It all depends what your are trying to achieve.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Here was my speaker replacement project and you can see how tiny the magnet on the factory speaker is. At that time, I was still using the non-JBL stock radio and with just new speakers, it sounded much better, deeper bass. Now that I'm using a Pioneer AVH unit, it's better than before, but will never be as clean-and-crisp than a dedicated external amp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts