Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy explains about the 2AZ-FE (other Toyota engine too) oil burning issue and it makes sense.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good food for thought. Just wish he would have gotten a bit deeper into the 2AZ-FE poor ring/oil port design. That said, I've been using synthetic oils for 25 years and changing the oil every 8-10 thousand miles on every car I own. The only car that ever gave me high oil consumption was my 06 RAV4 with the 2AZ-FE engine but most of us know the story behind that engine. Based on what he was saying I "got away with it" because we don't make many short trips and we don't often get stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good food for thought. Just wish he would have gotten a bit deeper into the 2AZ-FE poor ring/oil port design. That said, I've been using synthetic oils for 25 years and changing the oil every 8-10 thousand miles on every car I own. The only car that ever gave me high oil consumption was my 06 RAV4 with the 2AZ-FE engine but most of us know the story behind that engine. Based on what he was saying I "got away with it" because we don't make many short trips and we don't often get stuck in traffic.
Good point.

I was thinking if I used full synthetic in the 2AZ-FE since the beginning of the ownership, then that would at least reduce the oil consumption rate.

I have to admitted that I didn't use full synthetic and didn't take good care of it by changing oil on time etc.

The guy still made great point on how important it is to use good oil and change it on or before due date.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I agree with that guy on the video. Oil changes should be changed earlier if you drive short trips, do mainly city driving and drive in cold climates. That is exactly how my driving condition are which is severe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts