Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might not be new news, but I just found it. It appears that Toyota, and other car manufacturers are working on a Linux based infotainment system. I don't know if it is going to be backward compatible with the systems already in our cars. You can read the article here: Toyota owners to get Linux system instead of Apple CarPlay, Android Auto. Hooray? The questions mentioned regarding the integration of phone software (Apple or Android) and this Linux software may be interesting for end users. In any event, I am still replacing my JBL system with a new head unit soon, as I want Apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This might not be new news, but I just found it. It appears that Toyota, and other car manufacturers are working on a Linux based infotainment system. I don't know if it is going to be backward compatible with the systems already in our cars. You can read the article here: Toyota owners to get Linux system instead of Apple CarPlay, Android Auto. Hooray? The questions mentioned regarding the integration of phone software (Apple or Android) and this Linux software may be interesting for end users. In any event, I am still replacing my JBL system with a new head unit soon, as I want Apple CarPlay.
So they are replacing Open source with more stable secure open source? I would honestly prefer to just get the Carplay. I have not seen any head unit yet that retains the information for the hybrid though so until I can find one that retains the hybrid info I will just have to deal with it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If I get a free upgrade and will be able to play my mp3 files "by folders" from USB, I will keep my 16 RAV4.
If not, the 2018 Forester Black Edition is my next car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
smart move. I support companies who use Linux and open source. I have nothing but on my computers at home. My next car will probably be a rav4 or camry. I like my wife's 2015 rav4. I am liking the look of the next gen camry.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there any snowball chance in hell that our HU's would be compatible with the new OS?
This is a good question. I would bet that Toyota will keep the Linux software for their newest models and eventually, maybe, someday, making it available to some older models. Perhaps the HU units will be by a different manufacturer with different processors, etc., and they won't be compatible In any event, I bet it will take quite some time before it is available to owners of older Toyotas. It might also be one of those things that you have to take to the dealer for special download. Who really knows yet. I probably won't wait that long just to see what the Linux looks like. CarPlay and AndroidAuto have been available for quite some time and are established in the marketplace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts