Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I assume all Toyota dealers have access to the VIN specific repair info in a common database?
I found there is a Toyota customer website where you can register your vehicle and it contains all the dealer repairs that have been done (or "refused"). Interestingly, it appears you can enter in your own DIY or third party repair info. My 2009 AWD RAV4 has a "shudder" at exactly 40 MPH and 1500 RPM (shift point) which I was hoping would be the special warranty Diff coupling issue. However, the dealer is calling it a transaxle problem and wants $4500 to repair it. I'm going to replace the transaxle fluid with BG ATF which I've used before in my Tundra (solved a AT slipping problem). If this solves the problem, unless I can enter the "fix" in their database, I will have a "refused" diagnosis and essentially a worthless vehicle for trade-in at a Toy dealer. I don't know if CARFAX or any public accessible database would reveal this. If I sell privately my conscience will be clear if the "super" lubrication solves the problem. If it doesn't I'm SOL but at least I've registered a complaint with Toyota insisting they cover the whole drive-train under an extended warranty, not just the coupler since there are so many problems with it.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
You can go to www.toyotaowners.com and register.. Dealers are supposed to enter service and repair data into this database, and unless Toyota has changed what can be done on it recently, customers can access it to add their own notes and service and repair related comments.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
I wouldn't bother. For over 5 years I meticulously entered my repair information at www.toyotaowners.com--anything from doing the brakes to replacing wiper blades. A few weeks ago I tried logging in as I've done hundreds of times. First I got an error that said "system unavailable", so I waited an hour and tried again. Then it said "email or password not recognized" or something to that effect. Tried the "forgot password" link and it didn't recognize my email address. Tried contacting Toyota and they said they have no record of me ever signing up! So I signed up again, and of course all the dealer service records are there, but none of the records I entered. Instead I use an app on my phone called Car Minder. It's well worth the $2.99 it costs.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I've had no problem using Toyota . com either.
As to the OPs question, if your idea fixed the problem, no reason not to enter the info on the site. I've put pretty much everything in it for my RAV.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
I wouldn't bother. For over 5 years I meticulously entered my repair information at www.toyotaowners.com--anything from doing the brakes to replacing wiper blades. A few weeks ago I tried logging in as I've done hundreds of times. First I got an error that said "system unavailable", so I waited an hour and tried again. Then it said "email or password not recognized" or something to that effect. Tried the "forgot password" link and it didn't recognize my email address. Tried contacting Toyota and they said they have no record of me ever signing up! So I signed up again, and of course all the dealer service records are there, but none of the records I entered. Instead I use an app on my phone called Car Minder. It's well worth the $2.99 it costs.
Well, that sucks big time!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I recommend you sign up and log your services - won't hurt anything. You can access them on a PC connected to the net or by phone app. Not only can you view your previous services you have performed, but you can view dealer services as well. You are also able to download and/or print for your records if you like. Make sure you keep all hard copies just in case of any "glitches". Along with all hard copies, I also keep PC records, and phone app records.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts