Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 2020 RAV4 Limited Hybrid. I just went and got my car serviced and while I was there I asked the parts department the price of the tow hitch and receiver. $295 for the hitch and $160 for harness.
I spoke to a service advisor about how much the labor would be for installation. The advisor told me that they (Toyota) don’t recommend installing a hitch on a hybrid and won’t be able to install it for me.
Is this true?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’ve got a 2020 RAV4 Limited Hybrid. I just went and got my car serviced and while I was there I asked the parts department the price of the tow hitch and receiver. $295 for the hitch and $160 for harness.
I spoke to a service advisor about how much the labor would be for installation. The advisor told me that they (Toyota) don’t recommend installing a hitch on a hybrid and won’t be able to install it for me.
Is this true?
I have a 2020 RAV4 XLE and the dealer installed the hitch and wiring harness.

·
Registered
249 Posts
They are rated to pull 1750 lb., 250 lb. more than the ICE version. Advisor was misinformed. Eight pages in owners manual starting on p.200 dedicated to towing

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
565 Posts
Do you really need OEM?
I got a Curt hitch and install it my self in about 1.5 hours.
It took me longer to prep than to bolt it on. And if you have a helping hand, it should not take you more than an hour to in0stall. Don't even need to lift the car or unbolt the muffler.
Now I did not install harness as I am not towing , it is for bike mount, but you can by the harness for like 50 or 60 bucks on Amazon. The only issue is running the wires from battery to driver side. I guess you need that for turn signals.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Now I did not install harness as I am not towing , it is for bike mount, but you can by the harness for like 50 or 60 bucks on Amazon. The only issue is running the wires from battery to driver side. I guess you need that for turn signals.
The harness will fit into the existing wiring with quick disconnect plus. No need to run any wires to the battery.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Pleas provide link for instructions.
Every harness , even Toyota OEM show that you need to run wires to battery. At least one wire have to be run it battery on hybrid.
Yes, all the connections should fit in existing wiring with splitters harnes, but you have to run it to both side of the rear compartment to plug in the turning signals.
On hybrid it is easier since battery is in the back, but still... All that plastics to snap off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you really need OEM?
I got a Curt hitch and install it my self in about 1.5 hours.
It took me longer to prep than to bolt it on. And if you have a helping hand, it should not take you more than an hour to in0stall. Don't even need to lift the car or unbolt the muffler.
Did you install the Curt hitch on a 2020 Rav 4 Limited Hybrid with the foot-activated lift gate? If so, would you tell me more? The foot-activated lift gate and its location within the bumper is one of the reasons why Toyota won't install the OEM hitch. I've also read that the Rav 4 Limited has an issue with the backup camera with the hitch installed. I have a 2020 Rav4 Limited and find it hard to understand why Toyota would sell a type of Rav 4 SUV (Limited) that can't use an OEM hitch.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Sorry, mine is XLE without auto lift gate. The thing is from what I have read so far, you may loose the auto open sensor even with OEM hitch.
It is not compartable with hitch, according to Toyota.
Not sure what the issue with backup camera as it is located on the hitch. Maybe they mean when you tow the backup camera will be useles. Also the cross trafic alert sensors will act up when you tow or have a hitch accessory installed.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Read and see the video embedded in this link.
Granted it is for a RAV4 Prime. I imagine non R4P will likely be able to retain the kick sensor when a genuine Toyota hitch is installed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My RAV4 doesn’t have the advanced technology package. So there is no lift gate kick sensor. I also didn’t expect the rear back up camera to be that useful when I’m actually towing something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got my '20 XLE Hybrid new from my local Toyota dealership and they did the install on mine. Total bill came out to about $1200-$1300 for parts/service. They might think your Limited has the kick sensor and you would lose function of that with a hitch on it and easier for them to just say "we wont do it". I would try a different dealership. Mine got done same day once they got the parts in, so you might just have to make a day trip to a nearby dealership to get it done.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Limited Hybrid
169 Posts
Hybrid Limited Rav4s are equipped with a kick activated tailgate. According to my dealer, the OEM tow hitch will interfere with that sensor, and that they will shut off the kick tailgate if I have the hitch installed. I don't know why your dealership outright refused to install it, but thats the word my where I get my car serviced.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Hybrid
22 Posts
My RAV4 doesn’t have the advanced technology package. So there is no lift gate kick sensor. I also didn’t expect the rear back up camera to be that useful when I’m actually towing something.
Not useful? The backup camera isn't useful to you when trying to back up to a hitch?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hybrid Limited Rav4s are equipped with a kick activated tailgate. According to my dealer, the OEM tow hitch will interfere with that sensor, and that they will shut off the kick tailgate if I have the hitch installed. I don't know why your dealership outright refused to install it, but thats the word my where I get my car serviced.
I have a 2021 Hybrid Limited and I didn't have the kick sensor as an option. Dealer would be more than happy to install if I paid them $500 (US) to install it almost $900 if I wanted the wiring harness too. At that rate, I can do it myself. I've added liftgate lights, a 400W inverter, extra USB C port, LED lights and a connection for my UHF/VHF rig. Btw, for the wiring harness on a Hybrid (at least mine) the battery is in the back passenger side. I think the non-hybrids the battery is up under the hood.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid XLE w/ custom leather
12 Posts
I had a feeling they were. I guess I will try a different dealer.
You might also check with U-Haul. They will install a hitch and all the wiring. I've not had it done, but it's on my long list of things to do.

Edit to add:
Just checked the price at the U-Haul website. For my 2020 RAV4 Hyrid XLE, it's about $280 all up with the hitch, 2" ball mount, pin & clip, wiring harness, all installed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2021 Hybrid Limited with the kick to open gate.

I self-installed a Curt hitch I bought on sale from Uhaul. Never did it before, did it alone (I don’t recommend), and it took about an hour. It does interfere somewhat with the kick to open, but not enough for me to care. Might take 4 kicks, but it eventually opens.

The aftermarket self-install (or Uhaul install) option was actually suggested to me by the dealer during negotiations when I cringed at their pricing for it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts