Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my Greensboro, NC Toyota dealer yesterday and asked them if they were addressing the gas tank issue with the 2019 RAV4 Hybrids. We are considering getting a 2020 year model. Neither the service department, nor the sales department were aware of the issue. Has there not been a service bulletin on this? I found this hard to understand, since there has been much discussion on this forum. Anyone else's local dealer given the same response?

·
Registered
3 Posts
From what I have read, nothing formal has been issued by Toyota. A lot of what you see on this forum are engaged individuals who are working with their local dealers and service centers to raise the importance of this issue.

If your dealer doesn't sell or service a lot of hybrids its very likely that this might be a new issue to them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My dealer didn’t know about the tank issue, didn’t know how big the tank was, didn’t know the hybrid made a noise while backing up, didn’t know the gas model had transmission issues, and didn’t believe the hybrid had a longer stopping distance.

Or he knew these things and was just full of crap.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My dealer didn’t know about the tank issue, didn’t know how big the tank was, didn’t know the hybrid made a noise while backing up, didn’t know the gas model had transmission issues, and didn’t believe the hybrid had a longer stopping distance.

I'm going with the "full of crap!"

·
Registered
509 Posts
You have the choice to buy and live with the issue until they figure out how to fix it or go to some other forum and read all about the problems that owners of that brand and model are having. It is totally your choice. There is no official across the board fix. Yet. Or maybe never. Some individual dealers are working with some Toyota reps to try and fix the problem for some owners. Few have succeeded. And I emphasize the SOME. The others are too busy selling to those who don't read forums. Good for you for doing your homework.

My personal experience is I fill perfectly 80% of the time. The other 20% I live with. I gas near where I shop and don't consider it a big deal to coordinate a gas stop with a bathroom break since the gas is 200 years from the food store. Or to fuel slowly which seems to help. What is 2 minutes out of my day. On a 500 mile trip, I had no trouble though one fill was a short fill by an attendant. My bladder is smaller than the tank. And I like to stretch my legs and do some exercises ever 2-3 hours which is only 200 or so miles. I track my MPG but don't obsess over reaching the empty mark or achieving 550+ miles between fills.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

Time to find another dealer.
That said, I’ve never heard the hybrid has a longer stopping distance.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It’s a little heavier so I assume that would result in a slightly longer stopping distance.

I’ve seen subsequent tests with similar results.

Where the new hybrid model underperformed was braking distance. The 2019 RAV4 XSE Hybrid stopped from 60 to 0 mph in 143 feet, compared to the 131 feet it took an AWD 2019 Adventure non-hybrid model. I mention the non-hybrid model because both SUVs were tested in the same conditions on the same day. Although the soaring temps were a crucial factor for braking distances on vehicles tested that day, the difference between the models is significant. Both models have the same brake size (12.0 inches in the front, 11.1 inches in the rear), so we think the hybrid's regenerative braking or its additional 167 pounds could have led to the longer distance.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I’ve seen subsequent tests with similar results.

Tires may add to the issue. I’ve noticed different tires across the model lines. For instance, I have Toyo Open Country A38’s on mine. The non hybrid ones at my dealer had Firestone Destinations on them.

·
Registered
89 Posts

I'm going with full of crap. My dealer tried to get me into a gas model initially, and when I mentioned the tranny issues, how loud it was, etc they just played dumb and claimed "that's the first we've ever heard of that". Then a minute later someone test driving one revs it up (loud), slowly pulls out of the spot and it lurches. I just eye-rolled and insisted on the Hyrbid. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts