Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Anybody have any experience with the Toyota factory lowering kit? It's a set of shorter springs made for the Rav4, lowering the vehicle about an inch and a half. I'm curious as to quality compared to after market springs available. Here in Switz. the Toyota springs are available, I'm not sure if they are in N. America. Thanks, Jamie.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Stock lowering springs? Wow, i've never heard of those. Interesting that Toyota decided to do that. I wonder why since the market for it so little.

My H&R's are working great and i assume that they are better priced and performing than the oem ones. let me know if you find differently.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Re: Toyota factory lowering kit

Heinznfries44 said:
Hi all,
Anybody have any experience with the Toyota factory lowering kit? It's a set of shorter springs made for the RAV4, lowering the vehicle about an inch and a half. I'm curious as to quality compared to after market springs available. Here in Switz. the Toyota springs are available, I'm not sure if they are in N. America. Thanks, Jamie.
TRD offered a set, chances are they were just H&R or Eibach springs with a different paint job. If they were available here I would get them, the onyl place I've seen them is on ebay. I'm sure they were way overpriced from the dealership.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The set of four from the STEALER here in Switz. runs about 400 Swiss Francs, which is roughly 350$CAD. Quoted me 600 Swiss Francs on the car, again , roughly 530$CAD (after taxes). I'll be looking into custom shops to compare after market prices. I was mainly curious about quality...... I'm pretty sure price wise they will all be about the same (here). Unfortunately I can't use anything from Ebay, because I need to have a special inspections certificate for Switz.... a real pain in the arse!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I paid about $280 CAD for my H&R springs for my 1999 and I put them on myself and paid another $50 for an alignment, so that sounds about right for europe.[/quote]

I've never changed suspension on a car before, only on my chopper and that was straight bolt on (rear end anyways). Don't you need some kind of special compression tool to squeez the new springs to fit them on? I heard it's a real pain in the @ss if you don't have a proper garage set-up. How difficult is it realy to do it yourself?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE

It turns out the "factory" lowering springs are made for toyota by a company called TTE out of Germany. This is the same company that makes those cool masked headlights, along with replacement grills and such. Apparently the TTE springs are very high quality , very much sport and a little stiffer than H&R. They lower the vehicle 3.5 cm. I have them on order and will post pics when it's done. I mounted my wheel spacers (2.5 cm) front and rear yesterday and just doing that makes a huge difference in looks.

(TC SPORTLINE WHEEL SPACERS made for toyota Rav4, sold by DRIFTING PERFORMANCE, an Ebay store for 89$US a pair).

The wider wheelbase also seems to give me less drift... you know when you have wide low-profile tires and some roads have "grooves" where tons of heavy trucks have travelled, the grooves can pull your vehicle around a bit? Well the wider wheelbase seems to have been just enough to get me out of those grooves. Anyways, I'll post pics when the lowering is done with the spacers on. Peace!

K

·
0 Posts
TTE = Toyota Tunning Europe
Its the Euro equivalant of TRD here in N. America...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the TTE springs are on and the Rav is now lowered 3.5cm. The ride is sooooo much better now, I don't know how I let a year go by without doing it! I'm having a small problem with my wheel spacers though, the spacers themselves are fine, but they sent me the wrong lug nuts.... they're too short at the cone part and instead of tightening on all the diameter of the cone, they are seated only on the five points of the hex-key part at the top. Which means they vibrate loose very quickly and I almost lost all four wheels while driving! (ouch!) I heard a funny noise and stopped right away, luckily no damage was done. So the wheel spacers came off and the lowering springs went on. I have a claim in with Drifting Performance.com and I'm waiting to see if they will provide me with the proper lug nuts. In the mean time, I've posted a couple of pics in my album of the lowering WITHOUT the wheel spacers. I'll let you all know if my claim is resolved to satisfaction. Have a great weekend and KEEP YOUR WHEELS ON YOUR VEHICLES!!!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Heinznfries44 said:
Hi all,
Anybody have any experience with the Toyota factory lowering kit? It's a set of shorter springs made for the RAV4, lowering the vehicle about an inch and a half. I'm curious as to quality compared to after market springs available. Here in Switz. the Toyota springs are available, I'm not sure if they are in N. America. Thanks, Jamie.
Choosing to buy a vehicle with a high vertical clearance and then "lowering" it sort of confuses me... If I wanted something lower, I think I'd go for a car ....... but I guess that's just me.....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Phourwheel said:
[quote="
Choosing to buy a vehicle with a high vertical clearance and then "lowering" it sort of confuses me... If I wanted something lower, I think I'd go for a car ....... but I guess that's just me.....

Yes the Rav4 has a "high vertical clearance", but that is not the reson I bought it. I bought it knowing exactly what mods I wanted to do with it, for it to end up looking like it does. A quick glance at the pics will tell you that this vehicle is not going to be doing any off-roading, and the 4wd is enough for the fairly mild winters here (mild in comparison to what I'm used to in Canada!). PLUS, if anyone has ever been to Switzerland you'd know that the roads here are as twisty as it gets anywhere in the world, going lower with sportier suspension makes a world of difference in everyday driving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts