Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my 2006 V6 limited I negotiated some free oil changes at the dealer. I am coming up on a 1000 miles and I am going to take advantage of my free oil change. The dealer pushes Toyota motor oil. Anyone know anything about this oil and in particular who makes it. Pennzoil is another choice they offer. I always have used Castrol in the past. Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
A major company must make it for Toyota so it's not bad (it's just convectional oil). I say use the free oil changes and then switch to Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec. My 2 cents. :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
The March 29, 2005 Technical Service bulletin #EG018-06 on motor oil basically says the same thing as the owner's manual, but the manual only indicates the 5W-20 or 0W-20 for cold weather in the I4 AZ series engine, while the V6 owner's manual recommendation is 5W-30, but this TSB recommends 5W-20 for the V6 GR series engine, also!

ILSAC GF–4 SAE 5W–20
This oil has been set as the Toyota genuine engine oil, starting in February 2006 for the U.S. This oil is superior in terms of fuel economy, engine protection, and cold starting performance.

ILSAC GF–4 SAE 0W–20
This oil has even better fuel efficiency and cold starting performance than 5W–20. Initial application for 0W–20 is in the 2006 model year 2AZ–FE engine and will be used in new
engines to be developed.

Recommended
Engine Oils

Engines That Can Use 5W–20 and 0W–20:
OIL ENGINE
ILSAC GF–4 SAE 5W–20
AZ series
GR series
JZ series
MZ series
NZ series
RZ series
UZ series
VZ series
1ZZ–FE
2TR–FE

ILSAC GF–4 SAE 0W–20
(Beginning with 2006 MY)
2AZ–FE Camry
2AZ–FE Solara
2AZ–FE Highlander
2AZ–FE RAV4 (ACA3#)
NOTE:
DO NOT use these oils in engines other than those listed above. These low–viscosity oils cannot maintain lubrication effectiveness in engines with older designs and could result in smoke emissions from the tailpipe and/or unusual engine noise.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Low viscosity oils are recommended by the manufacturer to maximize mileage and also to perform well at low temps.

It is always a good idea to stick with the recommendations, for warranty reasons, if nothing else, but do NOT feel that you have to be locked into them. Going with a slightly heavier multi-grade oil in summer will give much better hot weather protection. Just don't run that thicker oil in sub freezing conditions.

I personally would be much happier with a (relatively) inexpensive 5W30 synthetic... Would I use a Free Toyota Oil Coupon? Maybe, but I wouldn't run the oil too long.

John Davies
Spokane WA

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
bikejack said:
The dealer pushes Toyota motor oil. Thanks
That's surprising. Most service dept's in the US use bulk oil they buy in 50 gal drums. Their express lub service uses it on all the cars that go through . My local Toyota dealer uses Castrol 5W-30.

I just traded in my 02 Honda CRV. I used to walk by the Honda dealer parts counter and rows of Honda 5W-20 quarts on the way to the service department that also put in Castrol 5W-30. You had to pay extra to have Honda oil used during the oil change.

Have you asked the SERVICE department what brand oil and what weight they use??

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had my first oil change at 1000 miles today at the Toyota dealer (a freebie). I opted for the Toyota oil (no extra charge).
The only other choice was Pennzoil. The Toyota oil according to Service Manager is made by Mobil. I never cared for Pennzoil going back to years ago when it left white ash deposits in the engine. Would have preferred Castrol. The Service Manager was pushing Pennzoil for I believe it was more cost effective for the dealer since they purchased it in drums. Toyota oil came in quarts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts