Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that toyota has seen the light and put the viscous centre diff back into the latest Lexus RX. The technican at the dealership told me that they found out the viscous on the Earlier model RX and RAV's works much better than the electronic version so they went back.

A case of dont fix it if it is not broke :)

"The RX 350 has a new five-speed automatic transmission equipped with an integrated transfer case and a new viscous-coupling-controlled, limited slip differential, replacing the previously all-electronic centre differential. Normally, torque is split 50/50 between the front and rear axles, but under slippery conditions, the limited slip differential directs more power to the axle with the most traction"

·
Registered
31 Posts
simple is in many cases the best!

the viscous centre diff does it's job, and works!

low maintaninace and simple mecanical components compared to an advanced electronic diff with a lot of things which can stop functioning...(and might be costing more $ in production costs)

I have not tested the 4.3 on winter conditions yet... maybe its "better" than the 4wd system on my 4.2, but the system on the 4.2 works great

·
Registered
771 Posts
Like the 4.2 system better.....however the new system works well. I just don't like the hesitation and the fact you have to predict it. I like to know its there all the time.

Later. M.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts