Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2918 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
813 Posts
Some here have gotten replacement tanks but didn't fix the problem. They don't say the design of the tank has changed. This sounds like a "make the story go away" kind of approach.

So someone please get the part number of the tank they use to replace the problem tank with and lets compare the two. And maybe even a picture of the tank before it is installed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Some here have gotten replacement tanks but didn't fix the problem. They don't say the design of the tank has changed. This sounds like a "make the story go away" kind of approach.

So someone please get the part number of the tank they use to replace the problem tank with and lets compare the two. And maybe even a picture of the tank before it is installed.
So are you going to try new tank or wait further more till final fix is coming out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think Toyota had no intention of coming out with a fix until the bad press got louder. They may still not have a financial incentive to replace X00,000 units.

It’s inconceivable to me that this isn’t something a few engineers couldn’t fix this in an afternoon. It’s completely believable that the fix is pricey or would require Toyota to trash a significant number of already manufactured tanks.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
If anyone is having their tank replaced try to request pictures for defective tank. Interesting to see if it really looks deformed

·
Registered
103 Posts
Replacing my tank initially fixed the issue for me, but the problem came back after a couple months to a smaller degree (instead of 3/4 full it would show 7/8 full instead like the picture in the toyota tech tip)

·
Registered
2918 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
813 Posts
Replacing my tank initially fixed the issue for me, but the problem came back after a couple months to a smaller degree (instead of 3/4 full it would show 7/8 full instead like the picture in the toyota tech tip)

Please take a picture of the filler tube going into your new tank and post it. Curious to see if it is different.

·
Registered
813 Posts
If anyone is having their tank replaced try to request pictures for defective tank. Interesting to see if it really looks deformed
My opinion. There is a problem. I don't know if it is fixable. I'll let those who have either more angst or longer drives try the interim fix. After all, the problem with mine could be caused by something different from the one they are trying to fix. And from the reports, swapping the tank doesn't help after a few fill-ups. So I'll wait till the fix is tested and widely reported here as working.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Maybe someone with the engine recall can have the gas tank swapped at the same visit? Cant wait until I see the "mechanics" face at the Toyota dealership when that work order comes his or her way.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Maybe someone with the engine recall can have the gas tank swapped at the same visit? Cant wait until I see the "mechanics" face at the Toyota dealership when that work order comes his or her way.
And the book will say that they have 18 hours to do it. Think any corners will be cut?

·
Registered
472 Posts
They have repaired hundreds of rusted out tacoma frames..
This engine swap would be a Piece of CAKE

They were changing out 2-3 frames per week...

rust2.jpg

·
Registered
177 Posts
It is interesting that the tank starts out ok and can become unfilllable over time.

The only thing I can think of is either something moving or swelling over time or a pressure buildup over time.

I dont have the problem, I can fill up till the gage goes a bit past F every time.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
And the book will say that they have 18 hours to do it. Think any corners will be cut?
How many guesses do I get? LOL

Ill be honest, the 132 recall for Hyundai is the exact same thing (engine replacement). It was a disaster (fans the flames of hostility). I got to know a master tech for Hyundai and after long conversations and a couple beers it comes down to the honesty/integrity of the tech. As people on the forum had more and more problems he could tell you the short cut taken that caused the failure. He, unfortunately, got to clean up a lot of those messes too. He would have to intervene in many cases of improper work.

He did clarify that if you got consistent jobs in (and he did), you get good at doing it. But if any issue what so ever happened during the work the pay was the same no matter what. Hopefully being so new the Ravs will be easier for the techs to get stuff in and out without harming the vehicle or "missing stuff".

1 - 20 of 36 Posts