Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Not good for Toyota it appears. With all the quality issues I've had just on my 2019 Rav4 and the frame rust debacle on the Tundra models a few years back, I believe Toyota has really dropped the ball. Even the frame on my Toyota FJ tends to rust. Sad. The Infotainment system gets the biggest complaints too, mine included with no Andriod Auto capability and settings that won't take. Heck of a lot better than Land Rover or even Mercedes, but still, my next car won't be a Toyota.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 AWD XLE
106 Posts
You do have to give toyota a little slack with the Rav4s ratings. the 2019s were the first of this generation. the 2020s fixed some of the 2019 issues, and the 2021s will fix some more issues.

·
Registered
605 Posts
But Toyota introduced some new issues with the 2020's as well as correcting some older problems from the 2019's. They should've refined what they had before changing things. And yes, never buy the first model year of any manufacturer's vehicles. In Toyota's case with the Rav4, it looks like the first 2 years to get things REALLY debugged. However, I was not happy to find out that Toyota mixed sheet metal types on the Rav4 and made that sheet metal even thinner. Aluminum for the hood, front fenders and rear hatch and steel for the rest.

·
Registered
53 Posts
But Toyota introduced some new issues with the 2020's as well as correcting some older problems from the 2019's. They should've refined what they had before changing things. And yes, never buy the first model year of any manufacturer's vehicles. In Toyota's case with the Rav4, it looks like the first 2 years to get things REALLY debugged. However, I was not happy to find out that Toyota mixed sheet metal types on the Rav4 and made that sheet metal even thinner. Aluminum for the hood, front fenders and rear hatch and steel for the rest.
Toyota is not the only vehicle company "mixing" sheet metal.
This costs Toyota substanially more.
Forming, stamping, welding, fitting, even paint adhesion and matching require more work, more labor.
Check many of the top automotive brands. You will find aluminum panels.
I know for certain Lexus RX costing up to twice what a Rav4 does has all the same panels, also made of aluminum since 2016

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[/QUOTE]
You do have to give toyota a little slack with the Rav4s ratings. the 2019s were the first of this generation. the 2020s fixed some of the 2019 issues, and the 2021s will fix some more issues.
FYI, the survey only is for 2020 models, and is for more than the Rav 4. Could be worse, but I'm seeing a trend.

·
Registered
53 Posts
JD Power results are based on, the customers opinion during the first 90 days of ownership only.
But I agree, can't deny the trend we all have seen in eecent Toyotas
Too many North Americans running the Toyota ship. Quality has definitely taken a hit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I too was surprised to see Dodge on top, but GOOD FOR THEM. They are able to make a car that doesn't cause its owners grief for the first 90 days of ownership. That's all the survey is for. It's just a pity Toyota can't accomplish that.

"The study, now in its 34th year, examines problems experienced by owners of new 2020 model-year vehicles during the first 90 days of ownership."

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Good info. Yes, they aren't just measuring things like the car not starting, but picky things like the gas tank not filling all the way or the infotainment system sucking.

I get it, but the vibe I get is that people are dismissing it because it means nothing as to overall long term quality. That's important, but it doesn't negate what this survey actually does mean.

To ME, this survey represents the number of unpleasant little surprises that buyers should expect from a particular brand of car in comparison to other brands. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Its been documented here (and elsewhere) that JD powers makes money by selling their data to the manufacturers. So I guess Dodge paid the most this month.

All sarcasm aside, it should be titled initial satisfaction survey, not initial quality. Do you really believe people purchasing a Dodge are as picky as someone paying a premium for a Toyota? Or maybe a better way to look at it - Quality implies longevity - so to measure it over 90 days seems disingenuous?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its been documented here (and elsewhere) that JD powers makes money by selling their data to the manufacturers. So I guess Dodge paid the most this month.

All sarcasm aside, it should be titled initial satisfaction survey, not initial quality. Do you really believe people purchasing a Dodge are as picky as someone paying a premium for a Toyota? Or maybe a better way to look at it - Quality implies longevity - so to measure it over 90 days seems disingenuous?
Maybe, but it's funny that if you look on the forum, there are other threads of other JD Powers surveys where Toyota scored high and I don't see a single person claiming Toyota paid for it. LOL.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Maybe, but it's funny that if you look on the forum, there are other threads of other JD Powers surveys where Toyota scored high and I don't see a single person claiming Toyota paid for it. LOL.
It was tongue and cheek - hence the "all sarcasm aside" in the next paragraph. People here are way too serios.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It was tongue and cheek - hence the "all sarcasm aside" in the next paragraph. People here are way too serios.
I saw that. I was talking about the same people you were referring to. It was also mentioned in the video. People here think stuff is all about them. 😜

·
Registered
785 Posts
What new problems were introduced for 2020?

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
I don't trust J.D. Power reports - have seen at least a couple of instances where they gave top ratings to products which had terrible ratings on even the makers' own sites for customer comments. Would much rather use Consumer Reports even though their categories are rather generalised. And we bought one vehicle with CR top rated and it was by far the most trouble-prone we have ever owned, and bought another which CR didn't recommend and turned out to be excellent..

1 - 20 of 49 Posts