Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Toyota ranking in J.D. Power Initial Quality Study, 2020

8K views 48 replies 13 participants last post by  Lowcountry Rav 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Not good for Toyota it appears. With all the quality issues I've had just on my 2019 Rav4 and the frame rust debacle on the Tundra models a few years back, I believe Toyota has really dropped the ball. Even the frame on my Toyota FJ tends to rust. Sad. The Infotainment system gets the biggest complaints too, mine included with no Andriod Auto capability and settings that won't take. Heck of a lot better than Land Rover or even Mercedes, but still, my next car won't be a Toyota.

#6 ·
[/QUOTE]

FYI, the survey only is for 2020 models, and is for more than the Rav 4. Could be worse, but I'm seeing a trend.

#4 ·
But Toyota introduced some new issues with the 2020's as well as correcting some older problems from the 2019's. They should've refined what they had before changing things. And yes, never buy the first model year of any manufacturer's vehicles. In Toyota's case with the Rav4, it looks like the first 2 years to get things REALLY debugged. However, I was not happy to find out that Toyota mixed sheet metal types on the Rav4 and made that sheet metal even thinner. Aluminum for the hood, front fenders and rear hatch and steel for the rest.

#5 ·
Toyota is not the only vehicle company "mixing" sheet metal.
This costs Toyota substanially more.
Forming, stamping, welding, fitting, even paint adhesion and matching require more work, more labor.
Check many of the top automotive brands. You will find aluminum panels.
I know for certain Lexus RX costing up to twice what a Rav4 does has all the same panels, also made of aluminum since 2016

#8 ·
JD Power results are based on, the customers opinion during the first 90 days of ownership only.
But I agree, can't deny the trend we all have seen in eecent Toyotas
Too many North Americans running the Toyota ship. Quality has definitely taken a hit.

#9 ·
I too was surprised to see Dodge on top, but GOOD FOR THEM. They are able to make a car that doesn't cause its owners grief for the first 90 days of ownership. That's all the survey is for. It's just a pity Toyota can't accomplish that.

"The study, now in its 34th year, examines problems experienced by owners of new 2020 model-year vehicles during the first 90 days of ownership."

#11 · (Edited)
Good info. Yes, they aren't just measuring things like the car not starting, but picky things like the gas tank not filling all the way or the infotainment system sucking.

I get it, but the vibe I get is that people are dismissing it because it means nothing as to overall long term quality. That's important, but it doesn't negate what this survey actually does mean.

To ME, this survey represents the number of unpleasant little surprises that buyers should expect from a particular brand of car in comparison to other brands. Am I wrong?

#12 ·
Its been documented here (and elsewhere) that JD powers makes money by selling their data to the manufacturers. So I guess Dodge paid the most this month.

All sarcasm aside, it should be titled initial satisfaction survey, not initial quality. Do you really believe people purchasing a Dodge are as picky as someone paying a premium for a Toyota? Or maybe a better way to look at it - Quality implies longevity - so to measure it over 90 days seems disingenuous?

Reactions: DC1
#19 ·
I don't trust J.D. Power reports - have seen at least a couple of instances where they gave top ratings to products which had terrible ratings on even the makers' own sites for customer comments. Would much rather use Consumer Reports even though their categories are rather generalised. And we bought one vehicle with CR top rated and it was by far the most trouble-prone we have ever owned, and bought another which CR didn't recommend and turned out to be excellent..

#30 ·
Not trashing Dodge. Chrysler has consistent had horribly reliability and very poor resale for at least a decade.

This isnt news and everyone has agreed.

I never understood initial quality studies for the first 90 days. Maybe its important to some I guess.

If you really like a Dodge go buy one. I dont hate Dodge, but I have 30 years of first hand experience how Chrysler reliabilty is because I get the employee discount.

I'd lease but never buy

I'm no Toyota fanboy either. I have BMW in my driveway too. But it ain't as reliable as my Toyota

#28 ·
To Crazyhorse's point, I'll add that just knowing about the issue could give people anxiety about a new car. It doesn't have to actually happen in order to affect them. Do they need to allow an extra hour for every important event in case their battery dies? Some people can block this out. Other people don't have that luxury.

#39 ·
Totally false. The more you produce the more chances of having defects.

With the just in time system there is great amount of pressure to get the parts out. With robots when you have a defect it can go without notice for many parts.

In fact there are times when. Manufacturer will put in parts they KNOW may have problems only to let them be fixed by the dealers when they have problems.

The cost of shutting down the line is VERY COSTLY.

I'll give you an example. Toyota has a problem with the fuel tank on the 2019 yet they still sell them without a fix.

#41 ·
Totally false. The more you produce the more chances of having defects.

With the just in time system there is great amount of pressure to get the parts out. With robots when you have a defect it can go without notice for many parts.

In fact there are times when. Manufacturer will put in parts they KNOW may have problems only to let them be fixed by the dealers when they have problems.

The cost of shutting down the line is VERY COSTLY.

I'll give you an example. Toyota has a problem with the fuel tank on the 2019 yet they still sell them without a fix.
The fuel tank has a design flaw, not a manufacturing / quality flaw. If they had built one of that tank or a million, it doesn't matter - it was designed incorrectly. They continue to use them as its the only approved design they have to use - which has nothing to do with manufacturing quality.

Volume drives quality (price being the same) because you can devote more resources to automating and develop better inspection systems. Yes you will have more overall problems because you have more units, but your failure rate per unit - or error PPM will plummet.

#40 ·
JD Power, like all auto surveys, is not perfect but it is recognized by the general public. I think we can agree that Toyota could have done better quality control with the RAV4.

Just posted in the Mechanical Forum by EP 2015.

I bought a brand new RAV4 Hybrid XLE this past weekend and before I was even able to drive it off the lot, the check engine light came on (everything was fine during the test drive). They looked at the car today and determined that the thermostat associated with the water pump was faulty (registering a few degrees off according to the sales manager).

Couple questions: Has any on else experienced a similar issue with a new RAV4 or any car in general? And ive been reassured that its a minor issue however the overall pump system is obviously vital to the engine. Should I be demanding they replace the car with another one?

New 2020 RAV4 Hybrid XLE Thermostat Issue

#42 ·
So tell me why there are more reported defects in today's Toyotas compared to 20 years ago . By your theory there should be MANY LESS DEFECTS and not more.

BTW The Fuel tank will be reported as a DEFECT by the customers who fill out the reports.

Anyway we can just agree to disagree. I know what I seen with my own eyes. The bigger you get as a company the less control you have over the QC of the products you produce.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.