Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just saw this post, although pretty old. I have noticed my 2009 RAV4 base occasionally applies the brakes for no reason. It is pretty rare and only seems to happen on steep roads while going around a curve. I wasn't aware that Toyota had any auto braking feature. I may try to turn off the anti-skid feature when I get to that steep hill area again (won't be anytime soon). There are no active or stored codes according to Techstream. The brakes are not actually locking up, but applying fairly strongly against throttle. I have smelled burning brake pads. I don't think this is normal but would have no idea how to trouble shoot this. Vehicle has 112,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Yes, I had a 2009 Rav4 and loved it, because it had a 4 wheel drive button and you could down shift to slow down in slush or snow or ice. Now I have a 2013 XLE with all wheel drive and it sucks. I touched my brakes yesterday in slush and my brakes locked up and slid into an intersection fortunately I had a yellow light and the traffic saw me. When I hit the pavement on the main road I had traction and was able to turn to avoid hitting a truck. It doesn't have 2 or 1 on the shift so I couldn't slow down. I called the service department and asked them if there was anything that I could have done and they said no there is nothing you can do when your brakes lock up. So now I'm looking for another vehicle.
Don't you have ABS?

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Obviously brakes which lock up and especially with ABS are a dangerous safety issue and in addition to raising the issue in the strongest terms with Toyota the issue should be reported to the NHTSA.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
There is more than one report of brakes locking up, and that is a safety issue.According to these reports the causes of the issue appear to be indeterminate. The problem can cause crashes and injuries and deaths, so it should be reported to NHTSA regardless of the cause.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts