Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another couple hours of sweat [it is 90F here] equity today, and the wiring is installed and tested. As with the factory hitch, the factory wiring harness is plug & play. It was a bit of a PITA to locate the power wire from the factory TO package under the dash though.

Ready to go pull the trailer now.

Thanks again for the installation instructions linked earlier in this thread. :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Since some people installed the factory wiring, I have a question for those who also have the Security System (alarm) installed. As per the instructions, I believe the alarm and the hitch wiring are using the same connector under the dash (driver side). Have you been able to install both? If so which one is installed first?

·
Registered
214 Posts
murderman said:
I agree completely that nearly $1k is way too much for a hitch, but I didn't pay anywhere near that for mine. The install was only about two hours.
There are days I wish I lived in the states.... Just can't believe the price tag for the hitch over here :shock: . Good for you then! 8)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered the Draw-Tite 75432 and it arrived with over 20 spots where it had been abraded through to the metal or the paint was chipping off. There was very little protection/packaging when shipped. The vendor is accepting the return but I did find out that it was sent from the "distributor". If most online stores have it shipped from a distributor (don't know, just hypothesizing), then it probably doesn't matter who the vendor is, it will arrive with little packaging and possibly damaged. Anyone else have a similar experience?

On another note, does anyone have a picture or diagram of the OEM hitch. I'd like to see the 29 points of connection.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just had the Toyota PT228-42061 (vehicles without tow package) receiver hitch installed yesterday. I couldn't believe how well it is secured to the vehicle.
It uses 20 bolts all together. After seeing how this thing is made and how it connects to the vehicle, I'm glad I didn't go aftermarket. There must be a reason Toyota designed it this way.

I also had the Toyota wiring harness installed.

The guy who quoted me the price originally when I stopped in did it incorrectly (quoted me too low of price), but the service department honored the quote.
I had BOTH the reciever hitch and wiring harness installed for a labor cost of $135.

·
Registered
1 Posts
07 v6 rav4

I need help, I could not start a new thread since I'm new here and I have an 07 rav v6 and install an aftermarket hitch and follow the instruction to the T. In the beginning everything seems to be working right, but now when I plug in my trailer harness, the lights stays on even with the keys out. So I know it's getting constant power ( ran a 12v with fuse straight to the battery) but it wasn't like this when I first installed it. I double check the wiring again just in case I had missed something but still the same. The signals worked like they suppose to but the brakes light doesn't. When I checked the plug on the vehicle side, the two wiring on the left( not sure of color but the opposite side from white/ground) it's getting power even with the car being off and the lights are off. Can someone help me troubleshoot this problem?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
The trailer light converters often go bad...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone watching this thread will see that I'm editing about every 10 min as I find more and more info about the kits :)

To be certain, will the kit for vehicles WITH tow package fit a 4 cyl? (I understand the vehicle shouldn't pull more than 1500 lbs... but I'm wondering if that kit is more substantial and sturdy than the other kit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It will not. The difference is that tow package has 4 connection points under rear bumper, and without tow package (4cyl) hitch doesn't have this (thus it is $50 cheaper)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks!
Have you purchased anything from them before? There are better prices ot there but the service?....

I am having terrible time with customer service on some sites (2 at this time). I will put in an order and it is moved into ordered category (so I can not cancel it) and hitch never ships...

Thanks again

·
Registered
38 Posts
ipekur said:
Thanks!
Have you purchased anything from them before? There are better prices ot there but the service?....

I am having terrible time with customer service on some sites (2 at this time). I will put in an order and it is moved into ordered category (so I can not cancel it) and hitch never ships...

Thanks again
Unfortunately no, I have not ordered from them.

I called my local stealership and they said that they could give me a 15% discount from the list price. That will probably end up being cheaper as I won't have to pay for shipping.

Not sure if yours would be willing to do the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Canadian market 2007 Rav4 V6 AWD with over 75000 km on it. It has a aftermarket class 3 hitch (no paying $900 from dealer).I pull a 2500 Lb pop up trailer and have been across this county from coast to coast. At one point on some of the roughest roads in Sask/Alberta you will ever find we almost broke off the licence plate holder. I have pulled this rig up away from camping spots that most would never try to get into.
I check the trailer /hitch after every run and it is solid. The hitch is held on by 4 bolts about 10 in apart on the two box channels under the rear pan.
You would have to be way over the 3500 lb load limit to bend or damage the rear pan... Just my opinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just had the Toyota PT228-42061 (vehicles without tow package) receiver hitch installed yesterday. I couldn't believe how well it is secured to the vehicle.
It uses 20 bolts all together. After seeing how this thing is made and how it connects to the vehicle, I'm glad I didn't go aftermarket. There must be a reason Toyota designed it this way.
I just installed mine today and i couldn't agree more with you. it took about 1.5 hours to install and all the mounting points and bracing are important. You can't compare these to the aftermarket hitches as they are night and day in quality. if you want the best go with the Toyota OEM Hitch!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to put these instructions together! has anyone confirmed that the hitch installation is somewhat the same for the 2011 RAV?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would very much appreciate it if someone could please post the instructions for OEM hitch installation, or a link to them? They are referenced in this thread but I have been unable to locate them by searching this thread or in general, so if someone can point me in the right direction I would very much appreciate it.
Also I cannot locate a video of the OEM installation online; if anyone knows of one please let me know.
I will buy the OEM if I can install it myself. For those who installed their own, did you have to do any drilling, tapping, etc? or was it a bolt-in/screw in process using existing receiving holes/nuts? When I read of a 1/5 install I am wondering what I will have to disassemble, drill, etc. Thanks.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
42 Participants
mxer125
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing