Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
After reading this thread and looking at John Davies' excellent installation walk through it appears that the main difference between the OEM hitch and the aftermarket ones is all the stiffener plates. The price difference in the US justisfies these additional parts. The Canadian price of $866 is totally unjustified and has me looking at the alternatives.
The stiffener plates whose main purpose appears to be to tie in the hitch to various pickup points in the unibody chassis and strengthen the unibody structure by distributing the load over a greater area. It woud appear that one should be able to duplicate the plates and use the existing chassis mounting points to accomplish the same thing without the outrageous OEM price.

Any one aware of an aftermarket company that makes these plates?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you dont mind installing trailer hitches yourself hitchweb.com is a great website to purchase off of. They have a trailer hitch search guide on their website - enter in your vehicle application and every hitch for that vehicle will come up. They also have great prices and always have a sale going on. Right now if you like them on facebook you get 10% off , and they have a black friday sale on right now too. Follow this link to get to their search page Trailer Hitches and Trailer Hitch Accessories Vehicle Guide — hitchweb

·
Registered
18 Posts
Picked up the OEM hitch for my RAV4 in late December--it is definitely a well-engineered setup. I'll be installing it as soon as the weather gets slightly warmer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, today it was slightly warmer (mid 40's and sunny), so I put the hitch on.

There were a few issues, but once I got past them, it was smooth sailing (thanks to the handy Toyota instructions and tips posted by forum members):

1. The hitch was slightly out of square--I was able to tweak it to line up the m12x35 bolts. Always check this before beginning the install.

2. Get a M12x1.25 tap to to chase all of the threaded frame holes. There was so much gunk in them that the bolts would not start. I also used this on the nuts that were welded onto the main hitch (used for the hitch-to bumper support brackets and the driver's side L-bracket). This made the brackets easier to install, since the powdercoating gunks up the threads as well). Others have used small brushes, but the tap was much faster.

3. Torque the driver's side hitch and bracket bolts according to the instructions. Torque down the passenger side frame bolts (3) according to the instructions. Don't torque down the passenger side hitch-to bumper bracket bolts until you fit the passenger side stiffener plate bolts that go into the hitch side frame. I had to loosen these bolts because the side plate was covering the stiffening bracket bolt holes. Set me back a few minutes, but everything else installed according to plan.

Definitely waiting to install the hitch wiring when it gets much warmer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Related question

Getting an OEM hitch put on my newly purchased '08 v6 with tow prep. Is an auxiliary trans cooler necessary? I will be towing an A-liner pop-up, ~ 2000lbs through some hilly terrain.
Also, is it wise to lock out the overdrive?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Installed the OEM hitch and wiring harness myself

I too read the opinions of others and decided to get the OEM hitch versus an aftermarket. I paid a little over $600 Canadian for both the hitch and wiring harness. A few extra hundred dollars was worth the peace of mind for me and I personally think it looks cleaner on the vehicle. The $700+ extra dollars for my local dealer to install them was enough incentive for me to try and install both on my own.

I picked up the OEM hitch and wiring harness from my local Toyota Dealer this passed week. Over the weekend I installed both on my 2008 RAV4 Sport V6. It was a Canadian RAV4 model so had the tow prep package came standard.

I took my time but the biggest issue I had was getting the bolts to thread into the various parts of the frame. Four years of guck and corrosion took time for me to work through but in the end I installed both without issue. I would highly recommend what a previous poster said about getting a M12x1.25 tap. I didn't do that and it likely added hours of work to my job. I used tons of WD40 and a wire round brush to try and get out most of the guck but in the end I should have taken 30 minutes to go to a store and buy taps for those nut holes. I have an air compressor with torque wrench and that saved me a ton of effort. It also allowed me to not have to remove any parts including bumper and muffler. I just worked around these parts and although tight space wise at times, it went on fine. This is in relation to the hitch installation. You will need to remove parts of the car to install the wiring harness.

Truthfully it took me about 6 hours for the hitch and 2 hours to put on the wiring harness. That being said I took my time and did get delayed by the corroded holes. Would I do it again? Yes. It was satisfying to know I put it on and that it was installed and works properly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just completed the hitch and wiring install as well. My experience was very similar to Greg's, although a little bit more painful.

I started to attempt to clean out the threads by using a M12x1.25 thread chaser rather than a tap, which turned out to be a big mistake. The chaser twisted off, and left the head in the bolt hole. I had no choice but to drill it out and re-tap the hole. From that point forward it was plenty of lube and the thread tap all the way.

My 07 V6 Sport did NOT come with the tow prep package, so I added the bumper brackets separately. They can be ordered for $17 each from Conicelli Toyota.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For a Rav4 without the Tow Pack, can anybody confirm what rear mounting parts would be required to bring it up to same spec?

I have tried searching on this but could not find a definitive answer. Looking at some of the Toyota Parts sites, they show the reinforcing plates (bumper supports) that many people have refered to, but also a Reinforcing Beam (which seems to mount across the width of the car) which I could not see on any of the install photos? ( 2008 TOYOTA RAV4 Parts - Genuine Toyota/Scion Parts and Accessories ) Part 16

Perhaps its a stupid question, and may already be an integratal part of the car, but as I will need to have all these parts ordered and shipped in, I wanted to check with you guys first. :thumbs_up:

I have a 2007 Rav4 2.4 Auto LWB model (4x4). This is a Japan built car with European spec, and lives in Singapore, where most people think towing is illegal. Its not, and neither is chewing gum, but thats off topic....

The reaso. I am looking at the OEM model (if I can get one, and after reading all the threads) is because I would like to use a Hitch mounted Motorcycle Rack, to carry a Dirtbike up into Malaysia. The weight of the bike and rack should be around 275 pounds all in, so is getting close to the weight limit... But I am limited to about 45mph on the highways so the speed would be low, and longer term I will have a proper bike trailer, but these take months to come in.

So, I would like to order the strongest possible hitch, and if that means ordering the bumper mount stiffeners and ?? at the same time at the hitch, I would rather spend the extra $$ for the peace of mind. Cars here as sooooo expensive I really dont want the arse of this one dragging along the ground.

Thanks! : )

PS; I added this here rather than start a new thread, to help others with the 4pots

·
Registered
1 Posts
wire harness

I have read this thread many many times. i am just now about to hit the "purchase" button on the OEM hitch. I have a 2007 V6.

I have however been hoping for a cheaper solution to wiring. When i searched today, i found a link to www.etrailer.com. after i watched the video on installing their kit on a 2007, i bought it. for $50 and a very simple instructional on how to install, i was sold. hopefully both the hitch and the wire harness work out as well i as i would like.

I am ordering the hitch from TRDPartsCenter.com

Wish me luck..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just wanted to give a heads up to any of the guys in AZ. I had the dealer install the factory wiring harness. They took 4 hours but only charged me for 2 hours per the manual. Total came out to 224. I would have done it myself but I'll be moving across country to NC and I don't have a whole day to just take my time with it. I'll miss the AZ weather.

·
Registered
189 Posts
For a Rav4 without the Tow Pack, can anybody confirm what rear mounting parts would be required to bring it up to same spec?

I have tried searching on this but could not find a definitive answer. Looking at some of the Toyota Parts sites, they show the reinforcing plates (bumper supports) that many people have refered to, but also a Reinforcing Beam (which seems to mount across the width of the car) which I could not see on any of the install photos? ( 2008 TOYOTA RAV4 Parts - Genuine Toyota/Scion Parts and Accessories ) Part 16

Perhaps its a stupid question, and may already be an integratal part of the car, but as I will need to have all these parts ordered and shipped in, I wanted to check with you guys first. :thumbs_up:

I have a 2007 Rav4 2.4 Auto LWB model (4x4). This is a Japan built car with European spec, and lives in Singapore, where most people think towing is illegal. Its not, and neither is chewing gum, but thats off topic....

The reaso. I am looking at the OEM model (if I can get one, and after reading all the threads) is because I would like to use a Hitch mounted Motorcycle Rack, to carry a Dirtbike up into Malaysia. The weight of the bike and rack should be around 275 pounds all in, so is getting close to the weight limit... But I am limited to about 45mph on the highways so the speed would be low, and longer term I will have a proper bike trailer, but these take months to come in.

So, I would like to order the strongest possible hitch, and if that means ordering the bumper mount stiffeners and ?? at the same time at the hitch, I would rather spend the extra $$ for the peace of mind. Cars here as sooooo expensive I really dont want the arse of this one dragging along the ground.

Thanks! : )

PS; I added this here rather than start a new thread, to help others with the 4pots
The rear suspension will not handle that much weight. From my experience, the rear will sag so low that you will not want to drive even a mile with it.
The RAV was not made for what you are looking to do with it.

I wish I had a picture to show our RAV with just 3 bikes mounted on the rear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The rear suspension will not handle that much weight. From my experience, the rear will sag so low that you will not want to drive even a mile with it.
The RAV was not made for what you are looking to do with it.

I wish I had a picture to show our RAV with just 3 bikes mounted on the rear.
WD hitch, 3rd row springs, sway control and you're golden!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a US version 2007 RAV4 V6 with 145,000 miles. I installed the OEM trailer hitch yesterday. I bought it for $100 through a Craigslist ad. The seller traded their RAV4 in and the Dealer required removal of the hitch prior to trading. Why would the Dealer want the hitch removed prior to resale? My guess is that prospective buyer may feel that a hitch would put premature wear on the car and make the car less desirable. Anyway check out Craigslist and keep your eye peeled for a used hitch.
I too am impressed by the engineering and the number of attachment points to the unibody. I used the factory assembly PDF and John Davies Spokanister assembly instructions. One critique is the the right side angle bracket must be sandwiched BETWEEN the body and the vertical bracket. This was not made clear in either the Factory PDF or John's instructions. My bolts were used and this was the second intallation so I had some difficulty starting thread. It may have been easier install tapping the holes as previously reccomended. I took my time and job required 5 hours of work.
I also like the OEM hitch because it has higher ground clearance and is mostly hidden from view. Love my Rav4!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Alternative power pickup point.

I have installed a Curt hitch to my 2011 V6 Limited RAV4. I also purchased a Curt wiring harness with the converter. When I installed the harness I wasn't really happy with the length of the ground wire provided as it didn't lend itself to convenient attachment to a good ground so I decided to wait a bit to hook up the power.

I kept thinking about pulling up the panels and so on to run the power from the fuse box back to the rear compartment. The Curt wiring harness kit specifies a 10 amp fuse. After thinking about it for a while I realized that there is a cigarette lighter very close to where the convert box is located. The cigarette lighter/power receptacle is rated for 12 VDC/120Watts. That is 10 Amps!

Since I am not going to pull anything with brakes and thus do not need a brake controller a simple cigarette lighter plug attached to the converter box will work perfectly. Having a plug there will remind me not to plug in anything else when there is a trailer attached.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I installed the Toyota hitch, but stripped one of the nuts. Bolt gets sorta tight, but loosens; can't be torqued. How critical is it that I have all ten M12 bolts torqued at 60 ft*lbs?

My intention is to pull 3500lbs on rare occasions, up and down slopes.

Should I just have the area near the stripped nut welded?
Would a helicoil be enough given the proper torque of the other nine bolts?
Has anyone else drilled and tapped one of the "tow" nuts?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just completed the hitch and wiring install as well. My experience was very similar to Greg's, although a little bit more painful.

I started to attempt to clean out the threads by using a M12x1.25 thread chaser rather than a tap, which turned out to be a big mistake. The chaser twisted off, and left the head in the bolt hole. I had no choice but to drill it out and re-tap the hole. From that point forward it was plenty of lube and the thread tap all the way.

My 07 V6 Sport did NOT come with the tow prep package, so I added the bumper brackets separately. They can be ordered for $17 each from Conicelli Toyota.
How did you retap the nut? Did you just use a M12x1.25 tap?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are there any links or copies of the installation guide for the Factory Hitch? I just had one delivered, and I'd like to make sure I do the install properly. The original links in this thread don't appear to work any longer.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
42 Participants
mxer125
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing