Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Translated original article:

On June 29, 2020, Toyota Motor Corporation announced on its official website that it would suspend the order for the new model RAV4 PHV. The RAV4 PHV is a new lineup of the popular SUV RAV4, and is a new model equipped with the newly developed plug-in hybrid system " THS II Plug-in ". Higher output of front motor and inverter than RAV4 hybrid system, combined with large capacity and high output lithium-ion battery, achieved system maximum output of 225kW (306PS), 0-100km/h acceleration is 6.0 seconds and sporty. It is a flagship model of the RAV4 series that realizes a powerful running. The price is also high, from 4.69 million yen to 5.39 million yen.
Concentration of orders exceeding battery production capacity
On the RAV4 PHV introduction page, "The order of the RAV4 PHV is currently suspended" is displayed. The reason for this is explained by "a large number of customers have received a favorable reception, and we are currently receiving orders that greatly exceed the production capacity of newly installed batteries" (from the Toyota RAV4 PHV official website). Toyota has not made it clear on the site whether this is an impact of the global coronary erosion or the original capacity problem.In fact, when the RAV4 PHV was announced, Toyota set the monthly sales target of the vehicle at 300 units. It was set low, and the production scale was originally small. The site says that "production for the year has already ended", and it seems that the company has received orders for all domestic production by spring 2021 within one month after its release.
The timing to resume sales is undecided, at least after 2021
The latest plug-in hybrid vehicle, the RAV4 PHV, is eligible for CEV (clean energy vehicle) subsidies for expensive models due to new technology. On the website of the Next-Generation Vehicle Promotion Center of the general incorporated association, an example of RAV4 PHV subsidy for the second year of Reiwa is 220,000 yen. This is just an example of this year, and the subsidy for Reiwa 3 has not been announced yet. Regarding the timing of resuming sales of the RAV4 PHV, Toyota says, "We will inform you again based on the future production and tax situation of the next year" (the official website mentioned above). It seems that there were some judgments by Toyota that it was not possible to receive a reservation order from the user, while the calculation of the total amount including the subsidy that will not be decided until next year is unknown. Under these circumstances, it was difficult to restart RAV4 PHV reservation orders within the year, and the orders were accepted until 2021.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Toyota is known for market research. How did they miss this supply and demand equation?

They seriously thought they could keep up with demand manufacturing 300 units a month when the Rav 4 is the number one selling non-truck auto in USA?

The general public is going EV and Toyota needs to invest in the future or die as a car company.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If it's a hoax, it's pretty elaborate, and not really very interesting. Unless someone is trying to manipulate the stock value. I have tried repeatedly to do my own translation of the Yahoo page, but so far, I've been unsuccessful.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ha, figured it out.

So it does appear to be an accurate translation of an actual Yahoo new article. See below. (pretty much the same as above.)

########################################################

▼For details on the Toyota RAV4 PHV, see the related article link▼
Equipped with original large capacity and high output version lithium ion battery

On June 29, 2020, Toyota Motor Corporation announced on its official website that it would suspend the order for the new model RAV4 PHV.

The RAV4 PHV is a new lineup of the popular SUV RAV4, a new model equipped with the newly developed plug-in hybrid system "THS II Plug-in". Higher output of the front motor and inverter than the RAV4 hybrid system, combined with a large capacity and high output lithium-ion battery, achieved system maximum output of 225kW (306PS), 0-100km/h acceleration is 6.0 seconds and sporty It is a flagship model of the RAV4 series that realizes a powerful running. The price is also high, from 4.69 million yen to 5.39 million yen.
Concentration of orders exceeding battery production capacity

On the RAV4 PHV introduction page, "The order of the RAV4 PHV is currently suspended" is displayed. The reason for this is explained by "a large number of customers have received a favorable reception, and we are currently receiving orders that greatly exceed the production capacity of newly installed batteries" (from the Toyota RAV4 PHV official website).

Toyota has not made it clear on the site whether this is a global coronal impact or the original capacity issue.

Actually, when the RAV4 PHV was announced, Toyota had set a low monthly sales target of 300 vehicles, which was originally a small production scale. The site says that "production for the year has already ended", and it seems that the company has received orders for all domestic production by spring 2021 within one month after its release.
The timing to resume sales is undecided, at least after 2021

The latest plug-in hybrid vehicle, the RAV4 PHV, is eligible for CEV (clean energy vehicle) subsidies for expensive models due to new technology. On the website of the Next-Generation Vehicle Promotion Center of the general incorporated association, an example of RAV4 PHV subsidy for the second year of Reiwa is 220,000 yen. This is just an example of this year, and the subsidy for the third year of Reiwa has not been announced yet.

Regarding the timing of resuming sales of the RAV4 PHV, Toyota says, "We will inform you again based on the future production and the tax situation of the next year" (the official website mentioned above).

It seems that there were some judgments by Toyota that it was not possible to receive reservation orders from users while the calculation of the total amount including subsidies that would not be decided until next year was unknown.

Under such circumstances, it was difficult to restart RAV4 PHV reservation orders within the year, and the orders were accepted until 2021.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Interesting question. It would be (I guess?) a separate assembly line, since japan has right hand drive. (aka, left hand traffic)
With everything fly by wire its irrelevant anymore. If you look under your hood all the needed holes, etc are already in the firewall to implement the brake booster, etc on the right hand side - all they need to do is invert the assembly and maybe use different shape brake lines. I would guess there is only one battery factory for this thing either way?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Almost. At first I thought, "oh yeah, he's right.". However, the steering is not drive by wire. (and hopefully it never will be.) So the brakes, the brakes and the steering. I don't know if either of these then move something else in the engine compartment. Also the headlights are generally different. Possibly the alignment is very slightly different. Plus, I'm guessing stuff is labeled in Japanese? I'm certainly not sure, but it seems like it would be hard to build both versions on the same line. Maybe you could switch over the weekend, but I would not build both at once. Not that I really have a clue about running an assembly line. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Interesting article. Hopefully it's not true. With an initial production of 300 cars per month, I would imagine that any dealer that actually got one could easily add on $5000 to the price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just google it. It's all over recent articles from tons of websites. I don't think its fake gents.

).

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Wow so they are adding insult to an injury already (available only in ZEV states) I guess good for Y or CX-5 Turbo orders.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For what it is worth still first in line in WI, but the Venza or Highlander hybrid is looking a lot better.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
For what it is worth still first in line in WI, but the Venza or Highlander hybrid is looking a lot better.
They maybe looking better (and more comfortable), but they are not faster the main reason why most are flocking on Prime. I am first in line, but I said no to markup.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Kind of a funny title (Will be discontinued ) before it's even started.
Over capacity . (doesn't that mean to many) the language in this is
pretty wacky

·
Registered
20 Posts
There seems to be a lot of inferences made in the articles about this. It still doesn't bode well for a lot of them making it to other countries anyway, though. Here's a post I just made in another forum:

It's interesting how much information all these articles are inferring based on the not-so-informative blurb on the Toyota Japan RAV4 PHV web page.

All these articles seem to stem from the information in the little box on the banner image of this page:

トヨタ RAV4 PHV | トヨタ自動車WEBサイト

I've taken the effort of transcribing and translating it (Why do Japanese websites love to use text images so much!!!):

[Japanese text removed because the forum thought I was a spammer because of it!]

The RAV4 PHV is currently undergoing a suspension of orders. Thanks to an immense popularity among our customers, the number of orders have drastically exceeded our capacity to produce batteries. We have already ended production within this year, and since next year's tax subsidy situation and other things remain unclear, we are now suspending orders. Regarding the resumption of ordering, it will depend on production as well as the tax subsidy situation. We apologize deeply and ask for your understanding.

(The last sentence actually includes, "This is inexcusable." Which I find funny, but that's a standard polite apology in Japan)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Well, still not known if this is only for Japan, or if the rest of the world will be on the same suspension. Over here we don't have any tax subsidy for HV/PHEV/EV other than a rebate on road taxes for PHEV (50%) and BEV (100%). So i'll be surprised if the given reasons for these suspensions are valid...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts