Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
I dont understand the Phev vs Bev argument. You can easily clear 300 mile range which is plenty for just about anyone
That's your opinion. I personally will NEVER buy a BEV with a range UNDER 400 mile. I can't and won't deal with charging stress, availability of charge options on longer road trips etc. So a second propulsion method is a must for me. And i need a SUV, no doubt about that because i need to transport an electric wheelchair all the time.

Please don't tell anyone what to do just because you would. Other people just might have different needs.

And of course we know how environmentally friendly it is to strip mine the earth for rare metals used in batteries...hahaha
Hahaha indeed. So a BEV uses different batteries? From paper or so? You're really a lauch...

·
Registered
789 Posts
That's your opinion. I personally will NEVER buy a BEV with a range UNDER 400 mile. I can't and won't deal with charging stress, availability of charge options on longer road trips etc. So a second propulsion method is a must for me. And i need a SUV, no doubt about that because i need to transport an electric wheelchair all the time.

Please don't tell anyone what to do just because you would. Other people just might have different needs.

Hahaha indeed. So a BEV uses different batteries? From paper or so? You're really a lauch...
400 mile range is within reach now. Not sure what you're arguing about. Its only going to get better.

And all phev and bev are going to have limitations on raw materials for batteries. ICE will be here for a while.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I dont understand the Phev vs Bev argument. You can easily clear 300 mile range which is plenty for just about anyone
Just about anyone? Hardly. Fine for commuting and short trips, but what about when you want to take a 1000 mile+ trip?
This is why I'm not buying a full BEV until charging stations are nearly as common as gas stations.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Just about anyone? Hardly. Fine for commuting and short trips, but what about when you want to take a 1000 mile+ trip?
This is why I'm not buying a full BEV until charging stations are nearly as common as gas stations.
I understand and that's your personal choice.

400 miles range is good enough for me. Much simpler design and better reliability, only a battery and electric motor. Lots of mechanics are going to be out of business in the next 10 to 15 years as ICE cars cycle out.

Just no point in all the fluids and complexity and pollution of gas engines

·
Registered
108 Posts
Agreed. There might be enough/plenty of chargers on the way to someplace, and getting there is fine. But if you cannot charge when you get there, and the nearest "gas station" is 50 miles away, that's a problem. You could use a level 2 charger, but you have to be able to leave the car there for quite a while. And some of the level 2 chargers charge a small fortune.

·
Registered
15 Posts
400 miles range is good enough for me.
Yes, for you.
You originally said 300 miles is good enough for just about anybody. I disagree. People take roadtrips. People drive cross country. I think people with feelings like mine are much larger than you think.

Just no point in all the fluids and complexity and pollution of gas engines
Agreed. But until I can find multiple publicly available fast charging stations in the middle of nowhere rural America, it's not worth the hassle/stress.

·
Registered
789 Posts
You are an outlier, most people dont drive across the country frequently.

BEV is great for many, many people who have regular commutes and occasionally take road trips of less than 300 to 400 miles.

But ICE all the way for you and that's fine.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
This argument should be mention 1 vs 2+ car household. If it's 2+ it's no brainier with secondary car to be a BEV. As for 1 car household I agree there is going to be a slight inconvenience with BEVs if you are going to take occasional road trips. So unless you commute daily 300+ miles BEVs could work as well, but at the same time PHEV is better compromise for 1 car households.

·
Registered
700 Posts
As for 1 car household I agree there is going to be a slight inconvenience with BEVs if you are going to take occasional road trips.
Exactly my point. BEV's are not YET suitable for every persons needs...

·
Registered
261 Posts
On the subject of Range have you ever heard the term Your Mileage may Vary. Pretty much true of any
car no matter what power's it. Peoples range have been all over the place on the Regular Hybrid here and battery's
are still very dependent on the Air temperature. The three hundred miles stated are not what your going to
really get unless its perfect conditions in a BEV. Additionally you are suppose to practice battery management
which means not charging to 100 percent to get maximum life . So realistically 320 miles mean something like
260 to start with in ideal conditions (80 percent to 90 percent charge). Then add loading or a heavy load or towing or stuff on roof racks that should take out another 20 to 30 percent .(30 percent came from a report of a guy towing a jet ski in somewhat hilly terrain.) that gets you down to around 175 to 200 miles. If you are in town or going on trips of less than 200 miles that is probably fine. But I think the point is you 400 mile range to actually get 300.
Right now the only thing that has that range is the model S.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Meh, 400, 300 or even 200 doesn't matter. My last gas car was giving me 220 miles of range and i was fine. Range isn't a problem any more for BEVs. If they can make charging conveniently fast and widely available just like fill up at a gas station then BEVs will win. Oh and not to forget to make them affordable.

Reactions: VonJot
41 - 52 of 52 Posts