Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota recalling 2.9 million vehicles globally over seatbelt issue

Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) said on Thursday it is conducting a global recall of 2.87 million vehicles due to the possibility that their seatbelts could be damaged by a metal seat frame part in the event of a crash.

In an email, the world's biggest-selling automaker said that the global recall involved its RAV4 SUV model produced between July 2005 and August 2014 and sold worldwide, and its Vanguard SUV model produced between October 2005 and January 2016 and sold in Japan.

The recall includes 1.3 million vehicles in North America announced earlier in the day by Toyota's U.S. unit, along with around 625,000 vehicles in Europe, 434,000 vehicles in China, 177,000 in Japan and 307,000 in other regions.

The automaker said it would add resin covers to the metal seat cushion frames on all affected vehicles to prevent any metal pieces from cutting the seatbelt in the event of a crash, after it had received two reports in which rear seatbelts separated following crashes.

Toyota said it could not determine whether these incidents were linked to any injuries or fatalities.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I heard on the radio there was one death in Canada and one in the US associated with rear seat belt separation. Dunno about other markets. Toyota states they weren't sure if these deaths were caused to the defect in the recall, but Transport Canada states that their investigation indicates that nonetheless catastrophic seat belt damage can occur in an accident due to the defect.

Basically, all they're doing is adding a plastic cover to the metal piece so it won't cut the seat belt.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
OK, this seems to make 3 recalls now our our 2011 for which Toyota does not have parts to fix any of them.

- Windshield wiper arm corrosion
- Power window switch catching fire
- And now this seat belt issue

I've never owned a car with so many recalls!

·
Registered
151 Posts
So has anyone heard anymore about this yet please? According to the article our 2014 RAV built in April should be included but I have heard nothing from Toyota. I had a quick look in the back and I cannot see that the seatbelt is touching anything. Mind you as we only have perhaps one rear seat passenger twice a year I am not really bothered.>:D

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Got rear seatbelt recall notice from the Toyota Owners website and in the mail some time ago, and when I had my RAV into the dealer for oil and filter change the service advisor mentioned the recall as well. We don't use the rear seat for people so it's not a big deal. Could be useful to have the work done if we sell the RAV.

·
Registered
23 Posts
OK, this seems to make 3 recalls now our our 2011 for which Toyota does not have parts to fix any of them.

- Windshield wiper arm corrosion
- Power window switch catching fire
- And now this seat belt issue

I've never owned a car with so many recalls!

I also have 2011 Rav4 with the Windshield wiper arm and seat belt recall for a while now . Toyota sure takes their time getting the parts to fix them .

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I also have 2011 Rav4 with the Windshield wiper arm and seat belt recall for a while now . Toyota sure takes their time getting the parts to fix them .

I'm beginning to think these pre-advisory recall letters are a scam, and it's just not Toyota. I've had a standing recall on my '13 Mustang GT for the Takata air bag fiasco for months now. Still no solution. Must be a loop hole in the regs that gets the manufacturers off the hook without them having to fix anything.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Toyota was stung for $16.4 million by the U.S. Gov't. for "failure to notify" the gov't. about the floor mat vs. accelerator pedal situation. Since having paid that fine Toyota is taking steps to make certain that it also notifies owners of any safety situation which could possibly get it into trouble, even though remedies haven't yet been devised or carried out. My home RAV file now has three open recall notices . . . owners are destined to be inundated with them. I'm waiting for one which, for example, would warn of impending braking problems if a snail or slug should happen to crawl up onto a brake rotor . . .remedy to be devised . . .

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm waiting for one which, for example, would warn of impending braking problems if a snail or slug should happen to crawl up onto a brake rotor . . .remedy to be devised . . .

Ah there is an easy method to protect against this. Just keep a constant spray of very salty water onto the rotor. That will kill said slug and also cause damage which will mean you having to buy lots of replacement parts etc or even a new car when the corrosion gets to bad. Lots more profit for Toyota :cool:

( People will know that I am only joking right??? )

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just got my letter in the mail today. Still no fix yet. I'm in Canada btw.

So has anyone heard anymore about this yet please? According to the article our 2014 RAV built in April should be included but I have heard nothing from Toyota. I had a quick look in the back and I cannot see that the seatbelt is touching anything. Mind you as we only have perhaps one rear seat passenger twice a year I am not really bothered.>:D

My letter only mentioned 2006-2012 MY RAV4s are affected. So you might be ok.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We received our seatbelt notice today as well… had part one of the washer done last month and have yet to receive anything regarding the window switch…..

Cheers!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes you're right. This recall for the rear seat cushion frame rubbing against seatbelt affects only 2006-2012 model RAV4 vehicles manufactured between Aug 24, 2006 thru Dec 18, 2012.

So...current gen RAV4's are okay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts