Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toyota recalls 6.5 million vehicles over window defect | CTV News | Autos

(Tokyo, Japan) - Toyota said Wednesday it was recalling 6.5 million vehicles worldwide over a power window glitch that presented a fire risk, the latest in a string of such moves by the Japanese auto giant.

In recent months, Toyota has recalled nearly 10 million vehicles outfitted with defective air bags that have been linked to several deaths globally.

A driver's side power window master switch could short circuit and cause parts to overheat and melt, Toyota said in an email."A melting switch may produce smoking and, potentially, lead to a fire," it added.

The recalled models include the Yaris, Corolla, Camry and RAV4 sport utility vehicle produced between 2005 and 2010, it said.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
The recall situation regarding my 2011 RAV is weird. On the Toyota Owners page there is a a note about a recall affecting 2011s which involves the floor mat (I thought we already had been through that.) That note says to click on their link for further info. The link leads to info which says nothing about a floor mat recall, but continues to indicate that there is a recall (previously noted) concerning possible windshield wiper motor linkage corrosion with no remedy currently available for that. Nothing about a window motor recall.:confused:

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
Well at least there is a brand new Toyota dealer just a few miles from us now. We won't have to deal with the 60 mile round trip (twice, two cars) anymore.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The recall situation regarding my 2011 RAV is weird. On the Toyota Owners page there is a a note about a recall affecting 2011s which involves the floor mat (I thought we already had been through that.) That note says to click on their link for further info. The link leads to info which says nothing about a floor mat recall, but continues to indicate that there is a recall (previously noted) concerning possible windshield wiper motor linkage corrosion with no remedy currently available for that. Nothing about a window motor recall.:confused:
Mine is the same.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Have not received the letter for the window switch, but have received the recall notice for the wiper linkage.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
..........Certain RAV4s between the years 2006-2011. Gen 4.3

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Haven't got the letter yet, but the Toyota.com/owners website says my 2009 is included for the Power Window Master Switch (PWMS) recall. They now specify it is for 'certain 2006-2010 RAV4' models (produced through late August 2010). The remedy is available. I checked my friend's 2011 VIN--not affected.

Some FAQ excerpts from the Toyota website:

Q3: What is Toyota going to do?
A3: The remedy will involve an inspection, switch disassembly, and application of a specialized grease. In a limited
number of cases, the electronic circuit board in the PWMS will be replaced. The inspection and applicable
repair will be performed at NO CHARGE.

Q6: How long will the repair take?
A6: The repair takes approximately one to one and a half hours; however, depending upon the dealer’s work
schedule, it may be necessary to make the vehicle available for a longer period of time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts