Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently finished the first service with my wife's new (bought used) 14 Rav4. Been following and reading mostly here since then to find out as much info as possible. I must say that I was quite taken back when I went for "service" at the stealership and they printed out this crap. This is the so-called "recommended" maintenance, to have the tired rotated every 5K and oil changes at 10K. I find the maintenance really absurd, but what is even more frustrating is the amount of "inspections" that has to be done. I am not an ASE certified mechanic but I know a little about cars and how to repair them. I just wanted to share with like minded owners who may have a warranty to know what "service" must be completed to have your extended warranty.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Both my 2015 and the 2016 Hybrid came with synthetic oil from the factory which has a 10k mile change service interval, same for my wife's 2015 Prius, not sure about 2014 tho, if your Rav4 has dino oil in it, the change interval is 5k miles, the selling dealer may have service records indicating what oil has been used.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I just wanted to share with like minded owners who may have a warranty to know what "service" must be completed to have your extended warranty.
There's no such thing as "required maintenance" for a warranty. Its illegal for anyone to deny warranty coverage unless a skipped maintenance item actually led to that specific failure. IOW, they can't deny a claim for an alternator just because you skipped an engine oil change. The only maintenance that Toyota recommends is what's listed in your owner's manual. Dealers lie like crazy about this stuff.

That said, everything in the O.M as recommended can be done in about 10 min, aside from rotating and oil change.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you're handy, you can do it all yourself and save a bundle. Oil change with filter is very easy to do.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Looks like a was taken verbatim out of the Toyota service booklet.

Pretty much the same maintenance recommended on most cars out there. All my recent Toyotas have the same wording in the service bootlets. If you look closely, most of those inspections are quick visual ones - majority of them can be banged right out when you rotate the tires / take a quick peek underneath and in the engine bay when you change the oil.

Some of those inspections are a CYA sort of thing for the manufacturer - example: inspect and tighten chassis nuts and bolts. My experience, if the vehicle was subjected to enough vibration/impact to loosen a chassis nut / bolt - there probably are much larger issues with the car (ie, tires likely fell off the car).

Every once and a while something will surprise you - not a whole lot you can do about those, but 90% of the rest of the car is just simple fluid and filter changes, remove and replace parts that are worn, remove and replace parts when they break down.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I suggest just do all that is required at each service. Keep good records and all receipts. You can input all your services at Toyota Owners Site and see what services the dealers performed also.

Changing the oil & filter along with the other recommended checks is no big deal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The problem is that the dash maintenance reminder light comes on every 5k miles, even when an oil change isn't required. I'd prefer to skip a stupid tire rotation and inspection every now and then. Does anybody know how to reset the maintenance light while not affecting the reminder every 10k for the oil change?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Sounds like DIY is not an issue mostly for the first three years since very little issues crop up during the original warranty period but over at the sticky relating to extended warranty, seems quite a few have been denied extended warranty claims by Toyota for not having evidence of these visual inspection/maintenance done outside of oil changes.

I will probably just delay my visits from every 5k to every 6-6.5k. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
In Canada Toyota REQUIRES oil/filter changes every 6 months/8000 kms EVEN with synthetic oil no matter the driving conditions. USA is double that under "normal" service conditions.

In Canada a Brake Service is REQUIRED every 24 months. This service is way beyond "inspect". Basically it means disassemble COMPLETELY, clean, sand if appropriate, lubricate, and reassemble. In Canada change brake fluid every 36 months. These services/change is not even mentioned in the USA owners manuals.

Received a mailout form Toyota that says wiper blades should be CHANGED every 6 months.

·
Registered
95 Posts
In Canada Toyota REQUIRES oil/filter changes every 6 months/8000 kms EVEN with synthetic oil no matter the driving conditions. USA is double that under "normal" service conditions.

In Canada a Brake Service is REQUIRED every 24 months. This service is way beyond "inspect". Basically it means disassemble COMPLETELY, clean, sand if appropriate, lubricate, and reassemble. In Canada change brake fluid every 36 months. These services/change is not even mentioned in the USA owners manuals.

Received a mailout form Toyota that says wiper blades should be CHANGED every 6 months.
Hmm. Odd that Toyota of Canada has service intervals required nearly twice as often as the states. But the US does have a clause in their warranty in regards to "Extreme Service", which roughly equates to the Canadian service intervals? Maybe they consider Canada an extreme service environment?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm not sure where you are getting you information, but I am looking at the online maintenance schedule on Toyota Canada's website for the RAV4 hybrid - Service #1 @8,000 km does NOT include an oil change. The first oil change is at Service #2 @ 16,000 km, and every 16,000 km after that.

Go to the 'For Owners' tab on their website, pick 'Service Your Vehicle' then choose 'Maintenance Menu' on the left. Fill in the model etc. of our car and use a mileage of say 6,000 km and click on 'View'. You'll see the 8,000 & 16,000 km schedules then.

And the brake fluid replacement is scheduled for 48,000 km.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm not sure where you are getting you information.....
Thank you for the reply, it appears to be a huge shift / eye opener. I was reading from a 2013 RAV4 schedule supplied with the vehicle, an official [not one created at the dealership] Toyota document photo copied at the dealership and the online schedule found on the Toyota site for 2015s.

From the 2016 Owner's manual;

"For details about maintenance items and schedules, refer to the “Scheduled Maintenance Guide” or “Owner’s Manual Supplement”

Since the website did not have this for the 2016s I went to the 2015 and found the following which appears to be identical to the hard copy 2013 version I have.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/toyota.site.p01/toyota/manuals/OMS1015U/OMS1015U.pdf

Back in 2013 I contacted Toyota about the added maintenance required for Canada. The official word was that RAV4s made in Canada for the USA market are different than those made in Canada for the Canadian market and thus the extra maintenance here. I did not believe the basic/mechanical parts of the engines/brakes/etc were different at the time and do not believe it now. Electronics may be different due to different emission requirements.

Did you find out what service #3 is? I only found #1 & #2. Interesting that the grids for 2016 is only based on mileage.

Does this mean that if it takes 3 years to get to 16,000 kms that would be the first oil change? If it takes 9 years to get to 48,000 kms we have the first brake fluid change? 30 years to 160,000 kms would bring the first coolant change?

This certainly is a drastic change from service every X months or X kms which ever comes FIRST. Can anyone confirm with a link that time no longer is considered in the Toyota maintenance schedules?

·
Registered
218 Posts
That's easy, just pretend your car has 30,000 km on it and punch that in. You'll see Service #3.
As for time related servicing, I have no idea what Toyota is recommending for the 2016 models - you'll have to ask them.

Did you find out what service #3 is? I only found #1 & #2. Interesting that the grids for 2016 is only based on mileage.

Does this mean that if it takes 3 years to get to 16,000 kms that would be the first oil change? If it takes 9 years to get to 48,000 kms we have the first brake fluid change? 30 years to 160,000 kms would bring the first coolant change?

This certainly is a drastic change from service every X months or X kms which ever comes FIRST. Can anyone confirm with a link that time no longer is considered in the Toyota maintenance schedules?

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
I don't know if the extended oil change is used everywhere, but here all Rav4s have synthetic oil and use the 10k mile change interval as stated in the Toyota Owners FAQs, it was the same for my '15 Rav4 and for my wife's '15 Prius.

Prolly depends on your dealer, ours uses synthetic oil and 10k mile oil change intervals.

http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7604/kw/What are the oil change intervals using synthetic oil?/session/L2F2LzEvc25vLzEvdGltZS8xNDYxNjIwMjQ2L3NpZC9lSHlUZVhPbQ==

What are the oil change intervals using synthetic oil?

• Only Toyota vehicles in which 0w-20 synthetic oil is required (except for the 2TR-FE and 3UR-FBE Engines*) have been approved for extended oil change intervals of 10,000-miles/12-months. (However, you should continue to check the oil level regularly and top off if needed. That will help your engine get the full benefit of synthetic oil.)

• Vehicles in which 0w-20 is an option to 5w-20 mineral oil, (or 5w-30), will continue to require 5,000-mile/6-month oil change intervals, even if 0w-20 oil is used.

• In the case of vehicles with 10,000 mile oil change intervals, the 5,000 mile service interval has not been eliminated. The traditional 5,000 mile maintenance procedures (such as tire rotation) will continue to be required, and the fluid levels (such as brake fluid) will need to be checked and adjusted at this time.

• If the vehicle operation meets the standard criteria for "Special Operating Conditions" such as: driving off-road, on dirt roads, towing a trailer, making repeated short trips under 32˚ F, or extensive idling; the engine oil must be replaced at 5,000 mile intervals, regardless of what type of oil is used.
*The 2TR-FE (4Runner / Tacoma) and the 3UR-FBE (Flex Fuel Tundra / Sequoia) are the exceptions to this new change interval program; these engines have not been approved for the 10,000 mile interval at this time. A 5,000-mile/6-month oil change interval is still required for these vehicles. Also, the Flex Fuel 3UR-FBE requires a 2,500 mile interval when operated on E85.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hmm. Odd that Toyota of Canada has service intervals required nearly twice as often as the states. But the US does have a clause in their warranty in regards to "Extreme Service", which roughly equates to the Canadian service intervals? Maybe they consider Canada an extreme service environment?
Very little if any difference between northern states and the southern parts of Canadian Provinces. Canadians should be given the same intervals as the US. If our location/driving characteristics as "severe" then we should follow that schedule.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts